1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0753 Code Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM
anthonyeb33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0753

We just purchased a 99 Durango 5.9 4x4 for $1600, I really wanted a 2wd but couldnt pass up this deal. Have had the Durango for a few weeks and love it but now Im having the same problem as Westwind, no 1st,2nd or OD, but if you shift it manually I have 2nd and 3rd. After reading all of the post which are all great, should I just bypass replacing solenoids and just get a new PCU, or can I go to a junk yard and get a used PCU. Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

P0753-TRANS 3-4 SHIFT SOL/TRANS RELAY CIRCUITS

First check the fluid level when HOT on flat ground. Check in neutral with engine running and select all gears for at least 2 seconds to get any air bubbles out.

There is a way to see if your issue is electrical or mechanical on your transmission 42-44RE. Testing instructions for 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, 47RE.

By doing this you will not have an automatic transmission, you will have to shift it completely manual and you will have no Overdrive!

Get under truck on the drivers side and unplug the 8 pin harness from the transmission near the linkage input into the trans, (this is the main plug to the transmission). Start your truck and back out or what not. Now drop the gear shift selector without stopping all the way down from reverse (or Park) to 1st and hit the gas. You should be going now running in first gear. Now shift with the selector to 2nd gear, then into Drive. If everything shifts fine then your issue is electronic, if it shifts the same then it is mechanical.

If the problem is electric:
1. Replace the Output Transmission Speed Sensor.
2. Check the 8 pin harness you disconnected for corrosion.
3. Replace the 3-4 shift solenoid.

www.dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-durango/311613-transmission-shifting-problems.html

Old 03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
anthonyeb33

First time I heard this test, thanks I will try this tomorrow and let you know

Old 09-28-2013, 11:43 AM
ShaunFields

That link isnt working and you can get a PCM at eBay for $120. It takes about a week to get delivered. I had the same problem and I changed the PCM im still getting the same 2 codes. P1899 and P0753.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:44 AM
ShaunFields

Ebay $120 preprogrammed

Old 10-03-2013, 07:10 PM
aaron_heather06

I'm having the same exact problems and code reads he's having except my durango is a 99 5.2L 4x4 I'm at a loss. The clutch plates were welded together and took it to a Trans shop and I have taken it back 3 times for this same exact problem. This problem is so frustrating, I feel your pain.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Charleythedog

"If any metal fragments (at all) get into the trany it can hang up the Solenoid." Hydrashocker is dead on with this. At first I didn't give this much thought as the transmission has a filter. After pulling out the two solenoids(they are mounted on the same plate) I tested them to see if they were shorted or didn't show continuity. They showed ok but when power was applied they did not actuate(click). Not knowing what to do I thought I'd clean them just in case- they were impacted with micro-fine steel filings. After cleaning they rattled when shaken and worked when power was applied. Reassembled after cleaning the pan and installing a new filter. Overdrive now works fine.
My analysis: The trans filter doesn't filter small enough to grab micro-fine particles as evidenced by the fact that the magnet at the bottom of the pan is covered with micro-fine steel particles. The solenoids are electro-magnets and they attract the same type steel particles and eventually get so packed with steel particles that they can't move.
No parts cost except fluid and a filter!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Charleythedog
Default Not fixed after all

Well the cleaned relays only worked for a few days. Dropped pan, replaced all solenoids, speed sensor, pressure sensor and broken spring- aha! Still not fixed. Took it to a transmission shop where they redirected me to a transmission shop with a "transmission expert". They said I needed a PCM and would program it. I explained that I didn't want to throw $800 at this car and not have it be fixed. After much reading on this forum I decided I would check the wiring first. After removing the gang plug on the transmission harness into the transmission I discovered that the insulation on the six or so wires going into the transmission was disintegrating. I reinsulated all those wires and put it all back together again. The transmission has been shifting normally for a week now.

Old 02-22-2024, 08:17 PM
jzarco@

Originally Posted by master tech
Did you ck the solenoid pack wire connector, Thats the connector going into top of the valve body. Maybe shop that did the driveshaft could have unplug the connector. And did the dealer spend time looking at the wires and doing an omh test, before telling you the PCM is no good. If you like the PDF to perform the P0753 test send me an E-mail and I'll send it to you.
buen día, tengo el mismo problema, sería tan amable de enviarme ese PDF? mi correo es jzarco_1@hotmail.com

Quick Reply: P0753 Code Issues