1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Daughters 2000 Durango oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
itpphoto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughters 2000 Durango oil pressure problem

Hi everybody,

My daughter bought a 2000 Durango, has 120,000 miles, it's the V8, but sorry right now I can't remember which one, I think it's the smaller of the two.

Anyhow, it's been running great, I did a tune up, oil change and regular maint. for her, and THEN,
while she is driving, if she comes to a stop the oil pressure drops to zero, sets off the chime and then the pressure returns. Sometimes it has happened while she is just driving along as opposed to just when she stops. Oil level is fine, and just changed.
Doing a search, I've found threads on bad oil pressure senders, a bunch on engine sludge both for and against, recommendations on flushing the motor etc.

So please help with any ideas, as I'm sure all the fathers on the forum you want your kid to have a vehicle that won't leave them stranded.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by itpphoto; 01-20-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-20-2009, 10:55 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

What you can do is remove the oil pressure switch and hook up a oil pressure gauge, and see if the gauge goes to zero. If you above 6psi then you should be okay. Then replace the oil pressure switch. and if you don't have a gauge, then install a switch and hope for the best. If the oil gauge does drop to zero, then you may have an internal problem.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1.oil pressure sending unit
2.plenium gasket has been known to be an issue, cause of sludge to build, that and using cheap oil. (not positive what year they updated)
3.weak oil pump

Have you tried to pull the codes? if not do that and post what you find.. I would think if the oil pressure measured zero it would throw a code.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:17 AM
itpphoto

Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it.

I'm going to try the sending unit and an oil change today. I will report back on what happens.

Thanks again,

Frank

Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM
itpphoto

To add to this, how hard is it to drop the oil pan and change the oil pump?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

If its a 4x4 you'll need to remove the front diff.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:57 PM
itpphoto

Well, here is the update;

When she got it a month ago I told her to take it and get the oil changed, which she did. When she originally told me about the oil pressure dropping, my old school thought was "it's low on oil" but knowing she just had it changed I ASSUMED that wasn't the case.

Well, she brought it over for the sensor and oil change and I checked the oil, get your surprised face ready - nothing on the stick -
When I drained it, I'm guessing there was a quart left. So with a full crankcase and a new sensor, so far no problem.
Now the question is; where did it go. No obvious leaks, no puddles, so I guess it's going out the tail pipe.

If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it. The pan drop in on hold.

Thanks,
Frank

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itpphoto
Well, here is the update;

When she got it a month ago I told her to take it and get the oil changed, which she did. When she originally told me about the oil pressure dropping, my old school thought was "it's low on oil" but knowing she just had it changed I ASSUMED that wasn't the case.

Well, she brought it over for the sensor and oil change and I checked the oil, get your surprised face ready - nothing on the stick -
When I drained it, I'm guessing there was a quart left. So with a full crankcase and a new sensor, so far no problem.
Now the question is; where did it go. No obvious leaks, no puddles, so I guess it's going out the tail pipe.

If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it. The pan drop in on hold.

Thanks,
Frank

I would think if you was pushing that much oil out the tail pipe it would constantly be smoking... I bet that the morons at the oil change place she took it to did not fill it up correctly. Drive it and keep a good eye on that dipstick.. at that rate it should be at least a quart low within a week...

Last edited by schusterjo; 01-21-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the shop did ya ****y job!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah her durango got screwed. I'd try to get my money back especially if there are no leaks on the oil pan or valve covers and such. thats really messed up. Now they would of blamed it on her if the engine blew. then tried to sell her a new one.}:< (

Quick Reply: Daughters 2000 Durango oil pressure problem