1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Power door locks unlock...but won't lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM
User201010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power door locks unlock...but won't lock

Well, I am stumped. The power door locks on my 2001 Durango unlock just fine, but they won't lock.

When I push the driver's side door lock button, the horn sounds, but it does not actually lock. None of the locks engage. The same thing happens when I hit the passenger door button and the key fob.

I pulled the lock/mirror/window controls out of the driver's side door and made sure the pins were good and straight. Everything is good and tight.

Interestingly, I read here about the automatic door lock feature (when you go above 15). I turned it off and on and it is not working either.

Any ideas? I am bamboozled.

John

Old 01-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chances are it's the CTM. Check out the electrical diagnosis and testing sticky at the top of the forum and then do a voltage drop test to see if you are getting a voltage signal out of the door lock button when you hit it. If you are the CTM is most likely shot. To be on the safe side and not throwing away money I would check for a signal out of the CTM as well if it is not there you are definitely looking at a new CTM.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:41 PM
User201010

Check out the electrical diagnosis and testing sticky at the top of the forum and then do a voltage drop test to see if you are getting a voltage signal out of the door lock button when you hit it. If you are the CTM is most likely shot.
Electrical diagonosis and testing sticky? I am new here. Where would I find that?

then do a voltage drop test to see if you are getting a voltage signal out of the door lock button when you hit it.
I am really not a car guy. Can you tell me how I do a voltage drop test for this?

Thanks!

John

Old 02-01-2009, 02:34 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the CTM. Odd things all combined at the same time (dome lights, horn honks, locks gone wild, etc) usually are CTM related. It's a $400 fix, dealer only and take both of your key fobs in when you get it fixed. They will need to be reset.

Could be wrong, but the horn beep with the locks is a dead giveaway. If you don't fix it, you may end up stranded, headlights lights not working, etc.

IndyDurango

Old 02-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by User201010
Electrical diagonosis and testing sticky? I am new here. Where would I find that?

I am really not a car guy. Can you tell me how I do a voltage drop test for this?

Thanks!

John
The main page for the 1st gen durango for the sticky (it is a thread that has been "stickied" to the top of the page permanently) and the voltage drop test is explained in there. The only other way to test this is to throw parts at your problem and hope you get it right.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM
schmooot

sorry to bring this old thread back from the dead but.......the relays inside the control module click on lock and unlock, however there is only a single relay in the dash fusebox for the unlock, should there not be one right below it for lock? There is a blank spot for one but no pins behind it in my case anyways

Does anyone have a schematic and can verify whether they use the same relay or not?

In most cases that there is a separate relay for lock and unlock directly beside eachother in the panel.

Quick Reply: Power door locks unlock...but won't lock