1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

So i got my trans back in and

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:20 PM
bwboley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i got my trans back in and

tryed turning it over and it just clicked? starters in there right any other things it could be?

Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

turn the key on, (apply parking break) and put it in reverse, goto the rear and look to see if the reverse lights are on, if not replace the park/neutral switch on the transmission.

Also check
the starter relay
Shifter cable adjustment (just move the shifter into other positions and try to start it to find out if it is out of adjustment, don't forget)

Last edited by schusterjo; 02-12-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Swich out the starter relay with a different one in the fuse panel under the hood, drivers side. They all should interchange but ensure the same part numbers between them.

Second, Check the terminals. Clean them up real good with a terminal cleaner. You are getting a click which means either the solenoid is trying but not making contact if the relay is good or the relay is bad and grounding out. If you have someone turn the key for you and stand outside you can make sure it is clicking.

If the relay is good and all conections are in great shape and just a clicking sound then check the lead lug that goes right on the starter for clean conection.

If everything is good take out the battery or have it load tested.

One last thing you can do is see if everything is working proper but the trans is locked up is to measure the current on the battery when you have someone turn the key for you to start and see if there is a large load that gose on the battery. If a large load is noticed like around a drop to 11.4 volts from 12.7 volts then the trans may be locked up and not alowing the motor to turn over. If no drop then the problem is in conection or battery/starter gone bad.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:30 AM
bwboley

fixed the neutral switch cont wasnt in all the way started it up was loud as hell [cut the cat off and added a pipe also has a flow 40] drove around the block wouldn't shift out of 1st blah.....

Old 02-14-2009, 10:19 AM
schusterjo
All Star

I figured it was something to do with that neutral switch, since it was a fresh install and the symptoms.

You check the tranny fluid? need to check it when it is in neutral so the pump is working. If you check it in park you are getting the wrong reading.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM
bwboley

Ok i added a quart atf +4 mopar brand it was low now its in between the o and k lol But still wont shift UNLESS i shift it but wont go past 2nd, then when i was pulling it to park it stoped going forward all to gether and revers to, if i turn it off and let it set for like 30 secs and turn back on it would go in revers and forward but then start slippin.
What was wrong was the front planet went out but all the clutches had very lil wear.
I did get a code p1762
And 0171 but i think thats from removing the cat

Wish i have the money i would trade this in for 1 of the 5 challengers at the dodge dealership that i seen when i was getting tranny fluid

Last edited by bwboley; 02-14-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Wow man, being a new rebuild it is hard to say what is going on... Many say they can rebuild one but most don't have a clue how to do it "right".. I would be calling up whoever did the rebuild.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:52 PM
bwboley

It wasnt a rebuild it was just changeing the planet gear the tranny was rebuild last year and every thing was still in great shape besides the front planet striped out i wonder if the gov needs replaced or vavle body cloged?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:33 PM
bwboley

anyone?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:44 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Well even if it is not a total rebuild it is hard to say with somebody just replacing the front planetary.... Try this. open the hood and check the level of tranny fluid on the dipstick, place the parking break on and start the truck, put it in neutral and check the level on the dipstick again... If there is no change your pump is bad

Quick Reply: So i got my trans back in and