1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

How much rubber will fit a 01 Durango w/17'S

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:54 AM
TWray
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much rubber will fit a 01 Durango w/17'S

Hey Folks,
New to this forum. I was hoping someone could help me with some tire issues on my 01 Durango Sport 4x4. It is presently equiped with 265/70R16's. This was the better halfs ride until she did some custom frontend work using a guardrail. So she got the new ride and I got a chance to juice up the old one. It needs tires, so I figured I would just go ahead and put some slick custom wheels on it in the process. I would like to go with 17" rims, because it opens up a lot more wheel options....I hope. (Apparently the 16"/6x4.5 lug config. isnt a popular set up). I would also like to eventually put a 3" lift under it. But at the present time I would like to know how big of a tire I can go with on the stock set up with a 17" wheel without any tire interference or scrub. I want all the profile of rubber I can get. No rubber bands......"Truck Tires". I have heard mentioned of wheel clearence issues also. Is this a problem? I figured a bunch of old Dodge bro pros would know all the stats, issues, and figures long before I could check, recheck, then burn 1200 bucks in the wrong direction. Oh yeah, Dont care about speed diff. or fuel economy. This'll be my work/weekend warrior ride. Thanks!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:09 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

without crankin the t-bars I say stick too a 31 inch tire that will look killer

Old 02-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The R/T's have the standard OEM 17x9 RIMs. I just noticed that BFG's make all terrains in 17 inch sizes now.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:47 PM
TWray

Originally Posted by DRO318
without crankin the t-bars I say stick too a 31 inch tire that will look killer
Great shots in ur album. I like the versatility you show with the street wise vs.the off road D-gos. I especially like the candy apple red , the charcoal, and black.....Big- D's. This is the stance I would like to see on mine eventually. Do you know how much total lift I can get out of the stock T-bars? Is this a trial and error adjustment or is there a standard turn adjusment per heighth. Are the shackles common in most 4x4 parts shops? Regardless, Thanks for ur input on my earlier question. It will put me on the right trail for my current too future plans for this old dog.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 PM
TWray

Originally Posted by Kensai
The R/T's have the standard OEM 17x9 RIMs. I just noticed that BFG's make all terrains in 17 inch sizes now.
Thanks for ur response to my tire question. Sharp looking Dodge in pics. Mine looks like the plain Jane version of the same. I'm not the familiar with the differences between the R/T, SLT, Sport, or the 4x2 Durangos. Is the set up of the suspension between the R/T and the Sport the same? Regarding rims, is it safe to assume that most wheel manufacturers/dealers promoting a 17/-"6x4.5" wheel, are made to fit the 6x4.5 Dodge Durango. Or should I be looking at other specs regarding this model? Thanks for the 17" info.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:49 PM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TWray
Great shots in ur album. I like the versatility you show with the street wise vs.the off road D-gos. I especially like the candy apple red , the charcoal, and black.....Big- D's. This is the stance I would like to see on mine eventually. Do you know how much total lift I can get out of the stock T-bars? Is this a trial and error adjustment or is there a standard turn adjusment per heighth. Are the shackles common in most 4x4 parts shops? Regardless, Thanks for ur input on my earlier question. It will put me on the right trail for my current too future plans for this old dog.
I don't own a 4x4 but I hear it's 1-1/2 inches of lift when you crank the T-bars the shackles you can find just about any where.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM
durango[tK]
Rookie

well i have a durango with not lift right now and i have 31s on it without any tire interference so if you do a 2" lift you can easy put 285/70R17, 32" or even 33" and of course if you get but then 2" you can a lot bigger then just 33". like me im gonna do the 2" t/s lift, 5.5" tuff country suspension lift, and 3" bodylift :] cant wait until they come in

Old 02-16-2009, 06:00 PM
TWray

Originally Posted by durango[tK]
well i have a durango with not lift right now and i have 31s on it without any tire interference so if you do a 2" lift you can easy put 285/70R17, 32" or even 33" and of course if you get but then 2" you can a lot bigger then just 33". like me im gonna do the 2" t/s lift, 5.5" tuff country suspension lift, and 3" bodylift :] cant wait until they come in
Thanks for input. Thats what I needed to know. I will probably go to a 3", I just dont know if I'm ready to commit the extra funds for it. Especially after dropping for wheels and tires plus a few bolt on goodies. So I wanted to figure using a set of tires up in between the transition. I may go higher too. That extra lift definitly adds to the Durangos toughness factor.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
durango[tK]
Rookie

oh yea it does to me the only problem is the price of the installation and stuff there chargin me 600 bucks for the suspension and 250 for the t/s lift and 300 for the bodylift

Quick Reply: How much rubber will fit a 01 Durango w/17'S