1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Passenger window goes down but won't go up

Old 05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
calumetbud
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so if the driver side switch is messed up,it could keep the pass side window from working corretly..I just replaced my motor and regulator. I can feel the motor clicking going down(window down all the way) But will not go up at all or attempt to...And the drivers side switch hasnt worked the pass. side door in along time..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
tinmanchris
Amateur

Originally Posted by calumetbud
so if the driver side switch is messed up,it could keep the pass side window from working corretly..I just replaced my motor and regulator. I can feel the motor clicking going down(window down all the way) But will not go up at all or attempt to...And the drivers side switch hasnt worked the pass. side door in along time..
Try taking apart the driver side switch, unplug all cables and using clean air to blow dust out of all the connectors. Next reseed the cables and try again.

I had the exact same issue you have and what I did above fixed the issue. Hope that helps!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
tinmanchris
Amateur

And yes, if the driver side switch is messed up, it can effect all windows.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

All the windows work fine with exception to the drivers window. The drivers window will always go down. It's getting it back up that is the issue. And MOST of the time THAT is not a problem either. It's intermittent. Usually opening and shutting the drivers door will fix the problem right away but at other times (LIKE TODAY), I can slam the door all I want to and it still won't go back up. How hard is it to get that drivers control panel off? You think maybe getting that off and putting electrical gel on the spade connections will resolve my problem?

Thanks fellas!

PS - I just tried to gently pry the window console out and it doesn't want to budge much. I tried shutting the door hard again. No Luck. What DID work was using my hand and firmly pounding on the OUTSIDE of the doorabout 3" below the window itself and it kick in and came back up. Does this make is easier to diagnose?

Last edited by Bimmer; 07-21-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely it's just a bad contact. You can pull it out and check it. There should just be a clasp under the front and rear of the switch holding it down into the door. Gently pry up on side and when you get it slightly up you will see the clasp and push it in to get that side out. Then tip to the back and do the same to the front. Be very careful so you don't break the clasps.

Here is one I did on my Ram but should be close enough. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...aning-diy.html

Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

Thank you HydraShocker, I'll attempt that as soon as I can. At the moment we're prepping for a camping trip starting tomorrow in Central Arkansas to celebrate our first honeymoon. It's so darn HOT, I don't see me needing to drop the window down for anything!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

Well the Master Contol Panel was a PITA to get out. Once I did get it out, the back cover comes off and that's as far as you can go. I think the ***** are such that they go on one way and there's no removing them to get to the insides. In the meantime is there ANY way to get the window up until I can find a replacement Master Control Panel?

Thanks!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Bimmer
Rookie

OK, UPDATE! I went to a salvage yard and picked up another Master Control Panel for $40. Plugged it in and NO change. I had to buy it because I had really messed the other one up getting it apart. I still those switch ***** are only designed to go on and never be removed. Anyways, just as before ALL the other windows work perfectly. Sometimes a hair slow but never have they stopped working. Remember my drivers window is still in the DOWN position. I took the door panel off carefully and with a rubber mallet I banged on the motor. It went up a little ways and then stopped. Banged again it went up a little more but slower. A third bang and it went up all the way but still very slow. So now I'm thinking I need to replace the motor. We JUST bought this Durango in May and we plan to keep it for a long while so a new motor is not out of the question here.

Who HAS replaced the motor and how big of a PITA is it to do? Can anyone give me a step-by-step process starting with already having the door panel off?

Thanks much!!!

~David

Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 PM
johnharvard78
Amateur
Question Similar issues

I was up in Canada (London, ON), during this past winter when a severe snow storm hit. The GF lowered the window a few inches to get some air, and it never went back up. This happened before, but in decent weather, and after turning the D off, then on again (after leaving it for a while), it would go up. This time it would only go down, and the car had to be left outside…long story short, something froze and snapped, and I brought it in for a new motor/other unknown part (Jan, 2011).

Just the other day (Jul, 2011), it did the same thing; went down and not up, until I turned it off for a bit, then back on.

Now it always goes up slowly when I try to close both front windows at the same time (using the master controls). If I do them one at a time they both go up faster (but the passenger’s side still not at “regular” speed).

Only a minor inconvenience, for now, but what gives?

Last edited by johnharvard78; 08-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Bimmer
Rookie

From what I'm being told, is that the brushes inside the motor have worn down to the point where they are not longer making the same contact on the windings as they were when it was new. This reduction in contact equates to a reduction in current flowing from the motor slowing it down. It's weak. The only recourse is to replace the brushes or most likely the cheaper route, unless you can do that yourself is to replace it. I found on RockAuto.com the complete motor AND regulator assembly shipped for $70. Not a bad price for new parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger window goes down but won't go up