1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

dodge durango_ squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
highest
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge durango_ squeaking noise

Hello,

I have a 2001 dodge durango in which periodically it makes a loud squeaking noise right behind the rear drivers side wheel. After spaying almost a can of wd-40 the sounds goes away but comes back within a week. Ok I am ready to take it to the dealer but wanted to get some ideas of what might be the cause before i spend $$$...

Thanks and regards...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 PM
BigRedMachine00
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely your sway bar bushings. WD40 works, but does eventually wear off. Go to your auto parts store and get some chain lube. It comes in a spray can and and the grease will spray out and actually thicken once its out of the can. This stuff usually has moly in it too which adds to the heat resistance, and its long lasting unlike WD40. If its squeakin behind the wheel it's where the sway bar goes into the control arm, spray the hell out of the bushing from both sides and it will go away. Might as well spray the driver side bushing and where it attaches to the frame in two spots. Also look at your control arm bushings spray those down real good too. Good luck

Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Facory
Professional

Definetly sway bar bushings. Chased the squeak in my front bushings with WD40 for 6 months. Finally took it to a local tire shop. They installed new bushings and no further problem. Cost was around $39. The local dealer was talking in the neighborhood of $400, that's right - $400. I'm not going to tell you what I told them!

Old 02-27-2009, 01:22 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the rear leafs for any rubbing or movement. Could be a broken bolt holding the leafs. You would see evidence of the metal on metal rubbing. Most front bushings squeak, most rears don't. A good can of spray lithium grease hitting all the underside movement joints will fix it. There are more than you think... including rear bushings.

IndyDurango

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 AM
highest

Thanks to all,

Went to the store as BigRed suggested and got some Chain Lube, sprayed where the noise was coming from. But before that I had a scheduled appointment with my local mechanic to have my oils changed, also told him about the loud squeaking.

As I had sprayed the chain lube on earlier in the day he could hear any squeaking noise. Told when it comes back not to spray anything where I hear the noise. That has been alsmost a month ago...

Once again thanks for the advice

Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bushing need to be replaced and lubed or a cracked spring like Indy stated.

Remember people to read EVERYTHING he stated the rear end.

Quick Reply: dodge durango_ squeaking noise