1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango Rear End Exploded

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM
jpdeuce
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DHarris75
Couple of more questions about my rear end
Let's just keep this talk about your Durango, ok?

2) My Durango has the 3.55 gears. Can I upgrade to the 3.92s, or would I need to change out the front end as well (4WD)?
It depends. Do you want to use 4WD? If you just want this thing running, you could run without the front drive shaft and put whatever you want in the rear.

Also, to get it moving, you just need to get the gears out right? You don't need it hooked up. Just clear that crap out of there and run in 4WD on the front by itself. I wouldn't run far on that, but it should get you moving. You are either gutting it or replacing it anyway, so just clear out the diff however you can.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:32 AM
DHarris75

Problems:

1) I can't clear out my rear differential - the pinion is jammed in very tight at the bottom of the ring. But if I jack up the back, I can roll both tires (they roll together if that means anything).

2) So since the back wheels will roll, I tried to find out why I can't push move the thing. So I jacked up the front and the wheels are locked. The 4WD was disengaged when the breakdown happened. Now I'm worried maybe I have a problem with my front end as well?

I tried to take the driveshaft off the front, but I can't get the bolts off with my hand tools. I wanted to start it up and see if it'll move at all (was going to go real easy...by feel). But the battery is dead so I have to jump it later.

Is this a good/bad idea? I obviously know not to put it in gear and take off, but I wanted to put a little leverage on it to try and see what is going on.

So I KNOW I need a rear end - pinion punched hole through casing - so that's a done deal. What I wonder now is did something else lock up and that caused the damage in the back - or did the back lock up causing something to go wrong up front? Well, more work tomorrow.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:55 AM
jpdeuce

When the back wheels roll, do you see anything moving in the diff? Axles turning? Gears turning? Anything?

Did you jack the front up and try to turn them with everything in neutral and out of gear? Nothing in gear, 4wd disengaged, etc...?

You are going to have to get that rear diff cleared out sometime in order to rebuild it (if you aren't going with the complete donor swap method)...so you might as well figure that out. Chances are, if you can figure out how to remove the drive shafts, you can roll it wherever you want, so that is an option as well. If you just need to move it around the garage and stuff, or out to the driveway, you can always get a decent set of vehicle dollies that go under each wheel. They make moving vehicles around a breeze.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Blah Blah Blah!

This is going now where fast...... I would bet that your transfer case wasn't fully out and the drive lines were locked even tho you were out YOU WERE IN!

Lift the front wheels and and roll the wheels backward and this should take the bind out of the front end enough to get it to moving. I bet with the axel bind the pinion gear was the week point and blew.

First thing first. Get that front end moving and unlocked from the transfer case. Olny after replacing the rear end are you going to find out if the front end and transfer case are good.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM
DHarris75

Good stuff - thanks!

When I jack up the rear and roll the wheels (I'm trying to figure out the rear end as I go here) - the two parts that the axle connects to do not move (pinion in the way) - but there is gear that is the middle of the assembly that turns.

I'm going to do a rear end swap - I'm going to look at 2 this afternoon that came off Dakotas, but I don't have high hopes here in Guam. I have a quote on a diff from AZ with 12K on it for $600+ship.

I think I have the rear end figured out as soon as I can get the parts (either a rear end or just this diff that I have a quote on). The front end just worried me.

When I have it jacked up, I can't move the wheels at all. They have a little play, but I can't move them enough to feel a bind come out. I'll have to see what I can do.

Thanks guys!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:57 PM
jpdeuce

Apparently there is only one opinion that matters here, so I will leave y'all to it.

Good luck with your Durango.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
DHarris75

jp - I'm going to need all the help I can get...I'm up to my gonads in trouble out here.

So I just jumped it off and it started just fine. The 2WD/4WD hi indicator will not stop blinking. So it's not engaging in either 2WD or 4WD. Also, I shifted through the gears and you can feel Tranny shifting - so when I ease off the brake, nothing. So 4WD is out.

I put it in 2WD and N (again, it won't go to a steady indicator) - and I can't push it forward or backward. Just stuck. Then the transmission indicator wouldn't tell me what gear I was in - all the gears highlighted up then the engine died. Battery.

So that's where I'm at. They wanted 1500 for a rear end off a Dodge Ram that was in a wreck and it looked pretty rusted. That's the Guam price. So I'll have to have a rear end sent in.

I guess until then, I won't know if what's locking my front end up. Hopefully not the transmission?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by jpdeuce
Apparently there is only one opinion that matters here, so I will leave y'all to it.

Good luck with your Durango.

^.....LOL.....^

Now don't be bitter!........

Just a lot of this was answered if ya read back.

There's some sarcasim here.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

jp - I'm going to need all the help I can get...I'm up to my gonads in trouble out here.

So I just jumped it off and it started just fine. The 2WD/4WD hi indicator will not stop blinking. So it's not engaging in either 2WD or 4WD. Also, I shifted through the gears and you can feel Tranny shifting - so when I ease off the brake, nothing. So 4WD is out.

I put it in 2WD and N (again, it won't go to a steady indicator) - and I can't push it forward or backward. Just stuck. Then the transmission indicator wouldn't tell me what gear I was in - all the gears highlighted up then the engine died. Battery.

So that's where I'm at. They wanted 1500 for a rear end off a Dodge Ram that was in a wreck and it looked pretty rusted. That's the Guam price. So I'll have to have a rear end sent in.

I guess until then, I won't know if what's locking my front end up. Hopefully not the transmission?
Disconnect the rear driveline, raise the front end wheels off the ground and try to place the Transfer case in "N" to see if you can get the front end out. You might need to start it and use the power train if needed. Also if there is anyway you can disconnect the front diff from the transfer case. There is going to be a lot of bind on there so be careful either way.

The dodge Ram axel housing is too big for the D chasis. You are going to have to get a Dak. or D rear end. Remember to get it the same as the front and if you are going to have to go all the way you can go for the 392 gearing for more power if you have the 352's.

I think you are going to have to remove everything and look into it all.

I know you don't want to get into this that much but you are going to have to go one part at a time and pray.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 AM
DHarris75

Okay - thanks for the answers. A lot of what I've read through these boards have painted a pretty clear picture of what I am looking at.

I'll do what you said and see if I can get into the front end. I don't mind getting my hands dirty - LOL. Just a lot of $$$ for parts out here. Got the quote on my rear end - cost me $500 for the end, and $783 for shipping

Thanks again...

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango Rear End Exploded