1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango Rear End Exploded

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 AM
DHarris75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me again - this is what I did today:

Jacked up the front and put it on jacks - worked the wheels and finally got them to start moving pretty freely. Took a while working them back and forth. So then I started it up - it found 2WD and shifted through the gears. Then I put it in 4WD and the light went solid. I put it in D and the front wheels started spinning. Good! Didn't make a good sound - a loud clicking sound. Couldn't tell if coming from the transfer case, the tranny, or the front diff. Will work on that later. When I put it in R, the wheels didn't turn (does 4WD not work in R?)

So great - I put it back in 2WD and the wheels stopped. Let it down and put it in N - still can't push...rocks back and then something stops it. I put it in 4WD and D (worked on jacks - wheels turned) - but nothing with the wheels on the ground.

So I raised the rear end again - back wheels still turn freely - both axles turn and the gears turn in the diff.

Let it back down - still can't push!!! Arghhh...I don't know what is hanging it up - all 4 wheels will spin with it up on jacks.

Last edited by DHarris75; 03-04-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Clicking could be the chain in the Transfer Case skipping over the teeth of the gears. Replace the chain and if the gears are toast them as well.

Try it in 4 LOW because of couplers. This locks both front and rear. Also remove the rear drive line. This should get ya moving but very slow.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 PM
DHarris75

By Driveline - do you mean the drive shaft? If so, it's off already. It went flying when the breakdown happened. My wife said it kept rolling down the street

I just can't seem to move the thing now. With it off the ground, I can get all 4 wheels moving freely in 2WD or 4WD and N. Put it on the ground in N and I can't even push it...like the wheels are stuck. But again, not if the wheels are jacked up.

Good call on the transfer case. That is where it sounds like it is coming from. However, the drive shaft to the rear is off so I wasn't sure if I was hearing something due to that. But I'm going to give it all a good rebuild underneath I think...transfer case, tranny, front and rear diff. Figure if I'm going to do it, might as well do it right.

I would just like to be able to figure out why I can't push it when all the wheels are free with it jacked up Also - I'm sure this is about a dumb a question as you can ask - but in 4WD...do the front wheels get power in R? I can get them going forward with it jacked up, but they will not go in R - although I feel the tranny shift into R. Again - maybe the chain issue you brought up.

I can't thank you enough for your help/patience by the way.

Last edited by DHarris75; 03-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:08 AM
DHarris75

Okay, so ask me how big of a dummy I feel like.

The rear wheels do turn - however, in opposite directions. Duh, the rear end is locked thus the wheels won't turn in the same direction.

Thanks again for helping out a dummy

Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ LOL ^

It's ok. You've been through a lot!

4X4 should work in R.

Use 4 low to pull but with the diff locked........ IDK....

Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
DHarris75

Yeah - I was talking to my dad last night (mechanic...but a looong way away). He said it should have a posi-trak so the wheels will still turn in opposite directions. But since the ring is jammed in place by the pinion, they won't go same direction.

So I have a couple of deals I'm working on getting a rear end to me.

So now I have to figure out if the rear end locking at 30mph caused any damage on the front end. I have that clicking sound when in 4WD on the stands - and no reverse power going to the front wheels.

Since I'm in a holding pattern waiting on the rear, I'm going to take off the transfer case and check out the chain and make sure it's okay. I'm just hoping my transmission is fine. Sounds like a PITA on some threads - getting to the two bolds on the top. Great fun! After that, I'll take off the rear end and see if I can't get that pinion out of the way.

But it's a good vehicle, so I'll get her fixed.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHarris75

So now I have to figure out if the rear end locking at 30mph caused any damage on the front end. I have that clicking sound when in 4WD on the stands - and no reverse power going to the front wheels.
Because your not supposed to run your D in the air with the drivetrain "unloaded"

Old 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM
DHarris75

Oh yeah? Didn't know that.

Can you elaborate - just so I can learn. I've learned alot about the drivetrain over the last few days Could I have damaged it by running it without the rear driveshaft? Or it just explains the noise coming out?

I can't clear out my diff. I've worked for 3 days to get the gear unjammed so I could at least move it. If the hole in the bottom of the housing had been 1/8" bigger and the pinion could have fallen that much more, it would have cleared. As it is, it is jammed perfectly where I can't move backwards or forwards - about 1/32" of play to go back and forth - but there is just a tiny bit of hard metal stopping it.

I'll update when I get new rear end on there.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DHarris75
Oh yeah? Didn't know that.

Can you elaborate - just so I can learn. I've learned alot about the drivetrain over the last few days Could I have damaged it by running it without the rear driveshaft? Or it just explains the noise coming out?

I can't clear out my diff. I've worked for 3 days to get the gear unjammed so I could at least move it. If the hole in the bottom of the housing had been 1/8" bigger and the pinion could have fallen that much more, it would have cleared. As it is, it is jammed perfectly where I can't move backwards or forwards - about 1/32" of play to go back and forth - but there is just a tiny bit of hard metal stopping it.

I'll update when I get new rear end on there.
The angles that are created at full droop were never meant to be ran like that, if your front end is lifted off the ground just look at the front Cv's and you'll know what im talking about. The same goes for the rear drive shaft yokes, they are not meant to run at an extreme angle and can quickly eat up joints/mess up the X-fer without a high clearance cv/ujoint

Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 PM
DHarris75

Okay - thanks - I went out and looked to see what you were saying and I can see it. Makes sense.

Good stuff.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango Rear End Exploded