1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango SXT leak question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM
fixxxerdx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango SXT leak question

Hey everyone -

I have a 2002 Dodge Durango SXT 4.7L v8 with 15,000 miles on it.

I noticed that the truck seems to be leaking some fluid from right in front, looks like transmission fluid/coolant.

It drips a bit and I'm wondering if the seal could be bad, the tubing, or the entire radiator itself. The truck was purchased brand new in 2002 however I'm just wondering if anyone might know things I can try to fix this without having to hand over my wallet and spend a bunch of money.

Is this a known issue or what does anyone recommend?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Pep Boys sells a dye for the oil,a dye for tranny/power steering,and dye for coolant leaks=you pour it in run the vehicle and use a uv light {they sell the light too}that makes the dye glow so you can find the leak.you ca also rent or get a coolant pressurizer that attaches to the radiator=you can pump up the coolant system cold and see if there's a pin hole or if the system stays pressurized then look at the oil or tranny systems etc for the leaks.you need to clean the area up good before using the dye so old crud won't hide the leak.once you know where you maybe able to repair the radiator etc but make sure you know exactly what you have for a leak.

Last edited by DragonOfMadness; 03-04-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:53 PM
fixxxerdx
Default Re: Leak

Thanks... Perhaps I will try that.

Dan

Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Overcast72
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not sure if it's oil or what - one real quick and cheap way to help isolate what and where is just a piece of cardboard under the area. You should be able to see what's dripping and where it's coming from, of course, it may be snaking around various parts before it drips down

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango SXT leak question