1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

cylinder shut dow

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
paulx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder shut dow

i have 1999 durango i have several cylinders that shut down but they only do it when in trying to maintail a speed tipping the excelerator. I can idle no miss, hammer it to the floor no miss, just when im trying to hold a speed . Any ideas i tried the tps no luck spark plugs it started just after i changed the wire's cap and rotor could i have got bad parts ?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

it is possible, i got bad parts once when i had my old truck, but i dont do wires/cap/rotor anymore try putting the old stuff back on and see if it goes away, if it does then take the new stuff back and explain what was happening

Old 03-14-2009, 12:01 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Did you check the voltage at the tps=it should be about .06 volts and go to about 3.38 volts smoothly=you can check it with the key on with a multimeter and back probe the first wire and the middle wire I believe, also is there any engine lights on? Make sure the spark are not arcing together. pull the plugs and see which look contaminated if they all do you might need a new coil double check their gap too-also check alternator output=if your runnin on 13.4 and below=truck won't run for crud...If nothin else compression the cylinders make sure somethin didn't break.

Last edited by DragonOfMadness; 03-14-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

- Wires
- TPS
- Cap/Coil

All perfect answers. Try in that order. Work at not crossing the plug wires at any point.

IndyD

Old 03-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulx
i have 1999 durango i have several cylinders that shut down but they only do it when in trying to maintail a speed tipping the excelerator. I can idle no miss, hammer it to the floor no miss, just when im trying to hold a speed . Any ideas i tried the tps no luck spark plugs it started just after i changed the wire's cap and rotor could i have got bad parts ?

As Indy directed... My truck did that once, but it only was when the throttle was burried it would choke itself out and backfire like a chevy come to find out i went with cheapo wires that arched to the block only visable at night with the hood open and a little on the gas. I would say take your cap/rotor off (since you just replaced) and take a look at it, see if there is any signs of mis-alignment/rubbing then take a look at night and have someone gas to try to reproduce the rpm level of problem. If nothing is noticed replace your coil...

Old 03-14-2009, 12:00 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

One other thing-when you say maintain speed you mean while driving not idle rpm?...If it's a driving problem how does the truck transmission shift?---It could be the torque converter not unlocking properly when you decelerate-then when you hit the gas the engine has to work against the torque converter and can't build up power= more info on exactly when this problem happens.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
paulx

thanks guys im going to try some of those ideas it only happens when the rpms are around 1600 or above or also higher than 50 mph strange but true

Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still...

Wires
TPS
Cap/Rotor
Coil

IndyD

Old 03-14-2009, 10:49 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

Another tool that might help is this chip that plugs into your obd-2 port below the steering column=it's a real time data logger if you can't find the problem and you work on other peeps cars too= it's worth the cost= about 130 bucks if you shop around.
http://www.davisnet.com/drive/products/carchip.asp
Good luck and post what you found to be the trouble...
Yeah,I have one of these logger chips and it found problems in alot of different vehicles quick.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:19 AM
DRO318
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand part did you choose for your "D"???

Quick Reply: cylinder shut dow