1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another high pitched sound thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Xolo Lovin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another high pitched sound thread

I looked through the other thread and it didnt really have an answer for me, so if you could give me your opinions.

The sound i have is more of a whistle that happens when i step on the gas. It stops when i let off. The noise starts as soon as i start moving, back and forward. I thought it might be the serp belt, because i had similar noise on my last durango. But i bought belt dressing and it did nothing, so i dont think its the belt.

I've had a few people that have heard it give opinions. My dad said he thought it was the power steering, but my mustang's power steering is going out and its definatly not that noise. My boyfriend thought it might be a vaccum leak, or the belt. A friend of mine hasnt heard it but he said it sounds like front differential.

Any opinions?

I may be able to get a video of the sound if that would help....

Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

If only in drive and reverse ranges then the transmission maybe the culprit=Did you try shifting the vehicle into neutral during the sound to see if it stops while the vehicle is rolling like in a parkinglot? If it does it maybe in the trasmission=did you have the filter changed recently?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 AM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya its really hard to say what it may be.. Really need to be there to actually hear the sound.

From what you have described this is only happening when your moving... So, another words you can be parked and give it gas and there is never no noise when parked?

If that is the case then the belt or tensioner is not whats causing the sound.
Steering pump usually makes a louder sound when turning....
Vacuum again would most likely be heard at idle when gas is applied as well.

So, this leaves us with drive train ext..
looking at differential
Your tranny (even heard of a converter making a sound before)
Wheel bearings
Rotors/breaks
4X4 it may even be the transfer case.

First thing I would do is start checking my fluids, Transmission, differential and if you have a 4X4 your transfer case. (been more then 30,000 miles I would just have it all changed, Your front differential probably never been done before anyways.)

Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a video/quick clip of the noise/ general location. Would be easier to help you out

Old 03-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Xolo Lovin

i'll do my best to get a video today. And it only happens when i step on the gas. even if im parked and i step on the gas it does it. Doesnt matter what gear im in, when i step on the gas it whistles.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

sounds like a vaccum leak=take an UNLIT small propane torch like the ones they sweat pipes with and run the nozzle around the back of the engine
check the area near the brake booster=theres several vaccum lines there
when the leak sucks in the propane gas the idle will go up=it's safer then the old starting fluid or carb spray vaccum leak finding method.
or get or make some blockoffs and disconnect all the vaccum hoses from the intake manifold,put the blockoffs on the intake manifold ports and restart the vehicle it might run alil funky because the map sensor will be disconnected but you should be able to tell if it's goinna whistle
no whistle find the leaking the vaccum source
if you still have a whistle=put a blockoff on the pcv valve disconnect the hose from the airhat and takeout the oil fill cap=with the vehicle running put your hand over the oilfill hole and a finger over the hose from the airhat..
if you feel vaccum=probably an intake leak=this for a 99 d=you didn't say what year you had..

Old 03-27-2009, 05:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Xolo Lovin
I looked through the other thread and it didnt really have an answer for me, so if you could give me your opinions.

The sound i have is more of a whistle that happens when i step on the gas. It stops when i let off. The noise starts as soon as i start moving, back and forward. I thought it might be the serp belt, because i had similar noise on my last durango. But i bought belt dressing and it did nothing, so i dont think its the belt.

I've had a few people that have heard it give opinions. My dad said he thought it was the power steering, but my mustang's power steering is going out and its definatly not that noise. My boyfriend thought it might be a vaccum leak, or the belt. A friend of mine hasnt heard it but he said it sounds like front differential.

Any opinions?

I may be able to get a video of the sound if that would help....
Video would help.

Look at the air hat and incoming hoses to the Throttle Body from the air filter box. Sometimes the crank vent hose gets pulled off if someone removes the air hat.

By the way<------ With all the crap your hearing from you friends on major problems that COULD be the problem .......LOL....... I think you better hang out with us....... You'll have more cash in your purse.

Besides, we need some ladies in mysection that come back and hang out!...

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Besides, we need some ladies in mysection that come back and hang out!...
Ya really, they abuse us here... Once they get what they need they leave and don't come back.. LOL

Originally Posted by Xolo Lovin
i'll do my best to get a video today. And it only happens when i step on the gas. even if im parked and i step on the gas it does it. Doesnt matter what gear im in, when i step on the gas it whistles.
Okay, that clears that up, kind of sounded like it was only happening the first time you described it. Well, thats how I read it anyways.

You, get that video and send us a link we most likely will be able to help you find it.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Xolo Lovin

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Video would help.

Look at the air hat and incoming hoses to the Throttle Body from the air filter box. Sometimes the crank vent hose gets pulled off if someone removes the air hat.

hm, i'll check that out tomorrow, see if theres any loose hoses or what not.

the problem is that i dont really know exactly where the sound is coming from and that makes things harder. I just know its coming from the front...but cant pin point where exactly.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Have you tried to stand under the hood and operated the throttle by using the linkage on the throttle body? If not try that and see if you can hear where the noise is coming from. or just have some body push on the gas why you look under the hood and try to find it.

Last edited by schusterjo; 03-28-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Another high pitched sound thread