1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango Cabin Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure Steve. YOU pull your dash every year to change out the $3 filter. I'll watch.

IndyD

Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, Why are you taking the wind out of my sails? Seriously, there must be a way to either purchase or make a aftermarket cabin air filter set up. I am not inclined for a full dash removal but with all the combined knowledge we have on the forum, I would think there would be a way to beat the design engineers at their own game. Any ideas?

Sidebar, I removed the IACV today, cleaned it a bit, but didnt have any real cleaner, just more of a dust off, but there was quite a carbon buildup. I removed what I could and reinstalled. Sounds a bit better, but what cleaner should I use for a full cleaning?

Steve

Old 04-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
Rob, Why are you taking the wind out of my sails? Seriously, there must be a way to either purchase or make a aftermarket cabin air filter set up.

Steve
He's just being straight with ya, i'd say that also..
As for your idea per filter under cowl, iv'e adapted a filter for the little input but it didnt last long. Dirt/dust/water put a quick end to it...
Now if you felt a lil giddy you could run a vent hose from that location to your own custom filter under the hood... But you would have to place the filter location in a manner such as a aftermarket intake... No need to suck the engine bay of heat/smoke/ whatever... Huge task.. Go ahead do it.. make a write up though

Old 04-09-2009, 09:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea im sure you could figure it out, just more hassle than its worth IMO, and i do a good bit of driving on dirt roads too (alot of mountain biking trails are only accessible from dirt roads )

EDIT: magic, if you bring me your rig for a weekend this summer i will see what i can do for ya

Old 04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Gentlemen,

I was'nt trying to start trouble, I just thought what I said originally, that with all the combined knowledge that we could come up with something. I guess I will just go back to Febreeze, It wasn't so much as dirt roads, but just trying to keep the incoming air a little bit more pure. I figure these days every little bit helps. Hopefully nobody got offended, but if so I apologize.

Steve

Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

They are just busting your ballz. It's all good.

With the vent and fan design, there is no way to get any filter even close to where it would help outside of taking out the dash. Ouch!

How's the 'burgh?

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 04-09-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There isn't any trouble yet..... Just a different view of opinion.

Indy<------ He defiantly has a point.

But to make a blower work that's not equipped to handle suction you would need to install some sort of K&N filter assembly or a high speed filtration and that would have to sit horizontal with the suction opening to give enough surface area for flow.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:33 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

"But to make a blower work that's not equipped to handle suction you would need to install some sort of K&N filter assembly or a high speed filtration and that would have to sit horizontal with the suction opening to give enough surface area for flow."

Now we are getting somewhere. Still no ideas for installing the filter but at least some background and some engineering ideas of why it is not possible. I hate to say it but I dont mind the word NO as much as just plain NO, at least we are getting a NO with some sort of basis for the reasoning. I will drop this issue for now, thanks for the help and I will go back to my febreeze idea.

Off the record, I did find a local shop for accessories. I will try for their website in follow up posts. Sounds like pretty nice place with decent selection.

Indy, "THE BURGH" was one layoff ago. I am in NOVA (Northern VA) about 10 minutes from Dulles Airport. Starting again at a regional airline just like I did in IND in 99. I have some follow up on some recent estimates but I will start a new thread for that.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:36 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

HS, you know by now that I always have a point. LOL

M84, NoVa... OIC. Pretty place. I like VA.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 04-09-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
HS, you know by now that I always have a point. LOL

IndyD

Your always a smart ***........

Quick Reply: 01 Durango Cabin Filter?