1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Milky color oil under fill cap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:04 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Milky color oil under fill cap?

Also I forgot to note until I read your reply, the issue with the milky muck is more prevelant with drivers that make little runs here and there and everywhere without longer/hotter runs. 4 miles here and park, 2 miles there and park, 6 miles back and park. Those that get out and drive, 15, 20, 30 miles or more each way most of the time, the issue is lessened to non-existant. The heat aids in burning off any small condensation and water that may get in there.

IndyDurango

Old 02-27-2007, 09:13 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

INDY, Bingo, That is my boat. I run aboutfour miles on a r/t for workfour days a week, sometimes five.Thanks for the heads up, Once the weather warms up and the condition resolves itself, are there any suggestions to remove the existing condensation, or will a nice long drive burn off most of it?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me:

- I'd change the oil
- I'd get the TSB applied
- I'd replace the PCV value (what $2 maybe?)
- I'd drive a little more, maybe a nice hot drive weekly (just guessing here)

I have 170,000+ on my 5.9L 2000D so that isn't a problem for me (no milky oil on the 5.9s anyways)

IndyD

Old 02-14-2018, 04:48 PM
HeWhoHatesFords
Default Emulsion

Well if anybody knows anything about a 3.7 or a 4.7 is that coolant does not run through the intake. Keep an eye on your coolant level. If it drops, but oil level rises, that’s a tell tale sign your head gasket is leaking. If coolant level is dropping with no noticeable leaks, and oil level is ok, it may be time for a compression test or leak down test. Anybody can open an oil cap, see that, and say “yeah bad head gasket.” That’s not a diagnosis.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by HeWhoHatesFords
Well if anybody knows anything about a 3.7 or a 4.7 is that coolant does not run through the intake. Keep an eye on your coolant level. If it drops, but oil level rises, that’s a tell tale sign your head gasket is leaking. If coolant level is dropping with no noticeable leaks, and oil level is ok, it may be time for a compression test or leak down test. Anybody can open an oil cap, see that, and say “yeah bad head gasket.” That’s not a diagnosis.
Seriously? An 11 year old thread?

Old 02-23-2018, 01:32 AM
Michael Dk

I have an 02 4.7 1500 ram that was my father's and my mother gave it to me when he passed..I've been having the same issues..I'm really no mechanic but I can follow instructions and do minor things..a few months back I started barely smelling the coolant after driving my antifreeze was depleted in the plastic tank..I've filled it up about 3 times and still keeps emptying..it started running terrible like ut was starving for air..I replaced air filter pvc valve purge valve all the plugs and I took out the air sensor I think it is that runs into the side of intake cleaned put back in.but let me rewind..I was getting a wierd ticking noise and from the research I had done I believe it was pretty ignition detentination.the truck has a lot of miles. I like in ky where there is no longer emissions testing..so I did cut out the cat which I'm sure was beyond clogged..after I replaced the plugs I drove it to work I could immediately tell a difference in pick up then about half way to work it started running ****ty again..my next thing was replace the coils just wasn't in the budget when I did the plugs..but I thought surely I'd be ok and not all 8 were bad..I also noticed it looks like I'm loosing some oil in the back under both valve cover gaskets. that was also in the near future plans to change the gaskets..I added a quart of Lucas stop leak which gas helped unless it was real warm I had more oil..it's never over heated but I have seen the milky crap under the filler cap and also after I change the plugs I noticed on the manifold passenger side front is wet..and that's also the only plug when I took out that was wet..and the little rubber fitting that connects the the pvc valve and the tube that connects to it has a split in it..I since taped i..when I drove it today once I get up to 50 it's starts jerking somewhat then will stop when I surpass..once I'm at a stop and take off ..it sounds like an elephant spraying water out of his trunk in a quick spray

Quick Reply: Milky color oil under fill cap?