1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Exhaust Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
jdliveit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Suggestions?

I've been looking at all sorts of postings trying to find what I'm looking for, but I can't find it, so hopefully you guys can help. I have a 2000 Durango 5.9l 4WD.

I'm looking for new headers and back. I was looking at getting a true dual, but it sounds like that involves taking out the spare and altering the bumper, and I'm not cracked up about doing either. Also, a lot of people talk about getting it custom made at a muffler shop or something, but I'd prefer ordering it online and bolting it on myself. There's plenty of them online, but I don't know what one's are worth it.

So, who can suggest an exhaust package, headers included? One that has better performance with a better, deeper sound (not too crazy and loud). One that doesn't required removing the spare or altering the bumper. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:36 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Far as a muffler goes there is no real performance gain from one leading manufacture to another, It all comes down to what sound you like. Personally I like the sound of Magnaflow exhaust.. Now headers you can find a little more performance out of long tube then short, I am not a brand suggester but any leading name brand long tubes would be great add ons.. You may want to get a high flow catalytic converter, Magnaflow makes decent low cost one.. (just cause I say Magnaflow don't think I am saying they are better, it's my own personal choice for sound)

Going dual would not give you any performance gain anyways actually can lower performance on these trucks. If you go dual it would be strictly for looks and nothing more.

To back my comments up here is a link, look to the left and select "which exhaust system is better", although you may want to read the entire thing, great info...
http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Spee...d%20Tricks.pdf

Old 04-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Neo1130
Veteran

I second the Magnaflow, except they don't really have the "truck" sound to them... I have one on my 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T with the Hemi and LOVE it... However, on a truck, I like more of a chambered muffler sound...

Old 04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im pretty satisfied with my exhaust although i will have to re-do everything with the lift.
3" to muff then standard bent (serrated) 2.25" out
PPH -ceramic coated headers/y pipe
Magnaflow cat
Flow 40 single in -dual out

Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are interested in a tru dual setup, GSM motorsports is the only company that makes a prefabricated tru dual with x-over pipes, cats, and mufflers all the way to the back and you do not have to remove the spare tire.

http://www.gsmotorsports.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

Old 04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
DragonOfMadness
Veteran

5.2 and 5.9 should be interchangeable for exhaust mani's right=I like that Gsm setup but they only list the 4.7 and 5.9 and I got alil 5.2.......

Old 04-21-2009, 06:04 PM
jdliveit
Default thx for the suggestions

good stuff, but i'n not sold on the true dual anymore, i'm gonna keep looking for a single. another thing though: what's up with the y-pipe? while looking for a upgraded exhaust i've seen headers and then i've seen cat-back exhaust kits, but if you replace those, the exhaust is still restricted at that stock y-pipe, right? when looking at headers at summitracing, the site would say if a y-pipe was included with the headers, but none of them had one. i haven't been able to find a replacement y-pipe online. actually, i think i found one, but it was some universal thing that i think had to be welded on. thx for all the advice

Old 04-21-2009, 11:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

MagnaFlow make one.

Yes you are right on the restriction hintz the reason for the replacement. If your going to run headers then replace the Y pipe. If you are just going single and no headers, then you can leave the OEM Y pipe and manifolds. If you go single with the headers, then go into a Y pipe to 3" and 3" high flow CAT all the way back at 3".

Quick Reply: Exhaust Suggestions?