1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Durango03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, def. change the plugs to Champion Truck or Iridium. I would also ATLEAST drop a K&N filter in place of your OEM. Make sure your tire pressure is accurate as well. I would make the switch to Synthetic oil if you havent already.

Just for reference, I just took a 3 hour trip and ran No Les than 85 MPH and got @ 400 miles on 1 tank... I think it averaged out to be @ 18-19 mpg. I thought that was good for as fast as I was going.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
I loved Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I bet Hydra would make a good "Brad"

IndyD
Your the one that LOVES the Rocky Horror Picture Show........

Old 05-03-2009, 10:20 PM
tmmhealthy

I have an 04 Durango - bought it used two months ago with 33,000 miles on it. I have been averaging 12 mpg each and every week driving back and forth to work (7 miles each way with several traffic lights) and on short trips during week-ends. Then last week, I drove to VA and back to MA on Route 95 and was pleased to average 20 to 21 miles per gallon!

After returning home, I changed from petroleum oil to Mobil 1 synthetic and I ordered a K&N air filter drop-in replacement. I'm hoping to increase from 12 mpg to 14 but I'll let you know when I fill-up again.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:26 PM
tmmhealthy

Here is a good website for comparing gas mileage among vehicles and engine sizes:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do

Old 05-04-2009, 05:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

The 04 is bound to get more than the first generation. But then again my motor is bigger that yours.....

Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Again, I will check with the actual fill up, but so far I am picking up about 20-25 miles per tank. From about 290, now indicating about 310-315. I got about another two-three days before fill up again, but early results look good. I know it may be some other factors but since I haven't made any dramatic changes in my driving habits I am going to give a good bit of credit to the new Bilstein's. I am still in the market for a CAI but I would say that good riding shocks are a good player in fuel economy.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:02 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't say anything last mention because I though I had read it wrong... however now with the statement coming up twice... I must say you are the first person I can ever recall giving kudos to new shocks for any mileage gains much less the big gains you are seeing.

My money is on better fuel with the spring blends/summer blends/winter blends, etc WAY MORE so than on any set of shocks.

JMHO!

IndyDurango

Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
I didn't say anything last mention because I though I had read it wrong... however now with the statement coming up twice... I must say you are the first person I can ever recall giving kudos to new shocks for any mileage gains much less the big gains you are seeing.

My money is on better fuel with the spring blends/summer blends/winter blends, etc WAY MORE so than on any set of shocks.

JMHO!

IndyDurango

yea thats what i would blame it on too, but again jmho

Old 05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by MAGIC84
but so far I am picking up about 20-25 miles per tank. From about 290,
I have to say something..........LOL

Thats an average of 1.111- gallons per mile.....

Those must be some great shocks.......LMFAO

Old 05-09-2009, 12:51 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

I meant 20-25 MORE miles per tank, so up from 290 to 310-315. I did the fill up today. mileage/range did go up, not quite as much as originally indicated, but still up. Last was 17.0 gals/255 miles so about 15 MPG. This tank was 18.0 gals/300 miles, so just a touch over 16.5 MPG and 45 miles over last tank. I am reasonably happy, and I still credit a portion of it to the new shocks. This was actual fill up mileage not overhead computer mileage.

I had not given to the change to summer blends, and that makes sense. I figured all the summer blends would be out "on the streets" (no pun intended) by now.

I think even though I went up, there is not a lot you can expect from stop/go driving but I am thankful for all the input from the members. I am reasonably satisfied with the improvements however little they are that the shocks provided. With the ride and handling improvement I would be satisfied even if there was no MPG improvement. I say we chalk it up to a combination of events, summer blend fuel and shocks. I will still try the Champion Truck plugs and when financially able a CAI, and exhaust system.

Thanks,

Steve

Quick Reply: Poor fuel mileage