1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

engine failure questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM
MetalDrgn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine failure questions

I've heard a lot of the gen 1 durangos have a sludge problem. I hear it either clogs the oil pump or starves it which starves everything else. People them seem to report a knocking sound afterwards. my question is what makes that sound? I can't think of what exactly the sound would be. I have also never heard it so I have no ideas really except the hydraulic lifters because they bled out, but I wouldn't think they would be that loud. I could understand a scraping from a spun bearing, but I don't get the knocking sound. I've also heard some stories where when the oil pressure returns, it goes away which tells me it's not exactly a thrown rod.

I ask this because it looks like this 2002 durango (I'm trying find out what edition it is because the guy I'm talking to about it is just a middleman) I'm looking into buying has that problem and I would rather just pull it apart and rebuild it than replace it if it's cheaper. it has 136k miles and they are selling it for $2800. I don't know the condition of the tranny and I haven't seen it yet except for a few pictures, but the guy says it's in really good condition and was well maintained. I am going this weekend to check it out. Is this worth it if that's all that's wrong with it? I've seen rebuilt engines on ebay for $2000+freight.

Btw I already own a 98 durango that I got for $900 which I had to replace a transmission on so I know it's going to be a pain to replace an engine. do you have to lower the tranny to remove the mount bolts to remove the engine?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

ok well the sludge is not an issue IF the engine was PROPERLY MAINTAINED

if it is a 4.7l engine has a little bit of a tick on first start up after sitting for a while, mine has done it since new (according to my parents who bought it new)

Old 05-07-2009, 05:10 PM
MetalDrgn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well not really even if it's been maintained properly. I've read a number of posts stating they had changed it atleast every 3k miles and while I know it's hard to believe someones word if they don't have proof, but some actually had proof and they were still shot down as them being at fault for it.

I found from the VIN it is a 4.7...

It's more than a tick and it's belching black smoke out of the back the guy said which I know could mean something else. I know a lot about cars and fixing them, but I have not seen this car yet and have limited knowledge about what it's doing.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A 4.7l I see...
Buy it. That's a GREAT price.

Then fix the broken manifold bolt(s) that is causing the ticking. A $50 fix and you have saved $thousands on the good price. Clean the TB from there and you should be all set.

If you are in Indiana, tell me where it is and I'll get it for my $2000!

YW!

IndyDurango

Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ I'm supprized you didn't jump on this one.......LOL ^

Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

yea well i was thinking about it, but decided that he probably wouldnt have listened to reason/fact anyways, was hoping somebody else would start it

ahhhhhh **** IT

here ya go DODGE SLUDGE now the hits will go up based on google searches

Old 05-09-2009, 01:42 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
^ I'm supprized you didn't jump on this one.......LOL ^
Slu... nevermind.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
here ya go DODGE SLUDGE now the hits will go up based on google searches
Blasphemy... Ya beat me to it... Sorry indy..

& Metal. Searching then believing the posts on sludge is like opening your spam section in your mail and sending money via Western Union to afghanistan for your inheritance thats $20+K...

Do i get a cookie Indy?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

no, I get the cookie bc im the one who said it

lol i get such a laugh out of these people that think sludge is a dodge issue, when its really a maintance (or lack of) issue

Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lack of proper maintenance is the biggest problem. Sludge will happen in any motor if neglected.

Speaking of this, does anyone remember the moisture TSB on the crank case vent = brown oil film? I thought there was a TSB but can't remember on the 4.7L?

Quick Reply: engine failure questions