1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

wired noise from passenger side tire area and other preoplems .

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
yogi_pahl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wired noise from passenger side tire area and other preoplems .

My girls friend has a 2002 auto 4 X 4. I took it for a drive the other day and noticed a few problems. First and most noticeable is a wired noise from the passenger side tire area. It sound almost like when you drive over the rumble strips on the side of the road that let you know your about to drive off the road, but the sound goes away when i turn(left i think. Wheel l bearing maybe?? I took the tire off and looked it over and it seemed fine as well as the brakes. Next would be the brakes them self. The pedal seems really soft and under normal braking feel like it backing off and back on, kinda like a warped rotter. Im going to take all the tires off this weekend and clean them all up and have a better look. Would anyone have any ideas on wear to start looking to fix theas problems.

Last edited by yogi_pahl; 05-16-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:51 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You got it.

Wheel hub on the sound and the pulsing is a warped rotor. AutoZone Gold rotors are good for standard rotors. Warpage is very common.

If they brakes are really soft, bleed them down to get fresh(er) fluid in there AND clean/adjust the rears. It will make a huge difference. Spend 15 minutes with 2 cans of brake cleaner to spray down the rears, remove, clean, lube (spray dry lube from Liquid Wrench) replace and adjust the star expanders and you will be all set. Just did that today myself. The brakes feel great!

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+2 Indy

I like the Duralast Gold Edition brake pads for these things and a good set of rotors but you could have them checked because you could have them turned if within specs. Some auto parts stores like Auto Zone will turn rotors for about 20 bucks a piece.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:13 PM
yogi_pahl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, One more quick question. Are the rotor the kind slide on the hub or are they the kinda that all in one and slid on to the spindle?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

2002 I think slide onto the hub. Some were bolted on but I think that was on the 2003.

Quick Reply: wired noise from passenger side tire area and other preoplems .