1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Overheating and misfiring cylinder one

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
indigoday
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating and misfiring cylinder one

I own a 2002 Dodge 4.7 liter 4x4. I recently threw a code for misfiring cylinder one. I did change the sparks and was going to do the ignition coil next but my truck also started to overheat recently.

I am losing coolant slowly (about a gallon every 1 1/2 weeks) but not leaking anywhere that I can see. Slight white cloud to the exhaust but no sweet smell. Coolant and oil are clear not milky, dirty or cloudy.

I wasnt sure if there was anyway the two could be related or 100% on what the cause of either problem could be. I dont know much about vehicle repair so I thought I would ask prior to dumping unneeded money into it.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be a head gasket which you would pull the heads and the heads would need to be gone through and re-built then reinstalled with a new gasket. This would be the first step after a compression test.

Or you could have cracked a head and antifreeze is leaching into the cylinder. Either one of these senerios could happen. Most likely you need to have the heads pulled and hopfully they are still re-buildable. If not you are looking into 1-2 new heads which if I were ordering then they would be port and polished like the Edelbrock series.

Either way the shop needs to look at the heads first to find out if they are good enough to rebuild. I would recommend these and I found them on www.rockauto.com

FEL-PRO Part # 26157PT
SOHC engine; Head bolts not incl.; Head bolt replacement recommended; PermaTorqueMLS™
$35.79$0.00$35.79

Sounds like there is a leak between exhaust and coolant ports.

To confirm this analysis, you must do a compression test.

Quick Reply: Overheating and misfiring cylinder one