1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Dodge Durango AC issues

Old 05-19-2009, 02:12 PM
DodgeGirl3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Dodge Durango AC issues

I am new to this forum, my name is Nicole and I am having trouble with the AC in my dodge durango 2003. My front air blows but will not blow cold air it only blows outside air in, BUT my rear ac works just fine and blows as cold as can be...Any ideas... I took my truck to a firestone shop and the ASC tech couldnt figure it out but before I take it to a dealer (not under warranty) I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas...

Also when I bought my Durango 2 years ago a few days after I got it home I had to bring it back to the dealer and they replaced the AC...does it seem odd that I am having an ac issue just over two years later?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the front and rear a/c units are on different condensers (evaporator cores??) so my best guess is you are either low on pressure in the one for the front of the D, or have a leak in the front system and that is why the back works but the front does not. I assume firestone checked the pressure, so my guess would be the evap core in the front dash which is a PITA to get at (and if you replace it, replace the heater core at the same time so that you dont have to open the dash up again in a few years)

Old 05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and welcome to DF The above mentioned (sharpy) is a good start. I know nothing of the newer AC styles, mine being overhead, but stick around and a few will chime in shortly.

The overhaul proceedure for the Evap in the dash requires the dash to be removed (Which can be a pain in the rear, and or costly to have someone else do). My first opinion would say it might be the blend door & or ac switch malfunction being it is a 2 year old system. ( said due to the Firestone Mech's not knowing the issue- If the system was still @ pressure, and mech Draining-vacuum-refilling properly)

Old 05-19-2009, 05:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome Nicole!

The system should be on the same system as the front. I am thinking that the blend door might not be fully closing in the dash allowing heated air to mix with the cooled air. Either way you need to have the system checked for pressure then it might lead to ripping down the dash to get to the blend door. If you do this have the heater care and condensor done while they are in there.....IMHO

Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhh... my first girlfriend was a Nicole.

Back on topic... +1 above. You could always have the dealer diagnose the problem and pay them the one hour of labor to do so. You would have a blueprint of what to have done at a better and cheaper repair center.

I would not recommend a revisit to that Firestone shop. Tire shops tend to over extend what they work on to make a buck. There are better, non-dealer, solutions to AC repair elsewhere. Especially in Florida! If the shop couldn't fix it there, they should be avoided.

IndyDurango

Old 05-20-2009, 04:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Ahhh... my first girlfriend was a Nicole.

Back on topic... +1 above. You could always have the dealer diagnose the problem and pay them the one hour of labor to do so. You would have a blueprint of what to have done at a better and cheaper repair center.

I would not recommend a revisit to that Firestone shop. Tire shops tend to over extend what they work on to make a buck. There are better, non-dealer, solutions to AC repair elsewhere. Especially in Florida! If the shop couldn't fix it there, they should be avoided.

IndyDurango
+ 1 on the tire shop.....

Indy, stop thinking with your hormones again......

Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Indy, stop thinking with your hormones again......

I am just happy some girl would actually go out with him

Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With a Durango like mine?! LOL

IndyD

Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyDurango