1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Whining noise on 02 Durango!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 01:59 AM
jman78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise on 02 Durango!

On cold starts during the winter, I hear this whining noise under the hood while I'm parked in my driveway. As I rev the engine a little in park, the noise increases in pitch. When I drive, the same thing happens, the faster I go the louder the noise. It lasts for about fifteen minutes or so, the noise is very noticeable and irritating. I feel like something internal is going to break because of the high pitch when the transmission switches gears.

I'm concerned about this and have taken my Durango to three different mechanics. None of them can diagnose the problem because they can't hear the noise. By the time, I drive to the mechanic the noise goes away. I have changed and flushed the tranny fluid in November 04, replaced the drive belt in December 04, and replaced the idler pulley in February 05 to correct this problem with no luck. I believe a bearing is bad, but I can't pinpoint the specific part. Any mechanics out there? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 03-14-2005, 03:50 PM
robust57
Rookie
Default RE: Whining noise on 02 Durango!

Personally I would just say that's normal. my 98 durango does the same thing when starting up. I am fairly sure its a normal engine noise as i have had it on other cars as well.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker
Default RE: Whining noise on 02 Durango!

Same here, I get the same thing when it is cold, then after about 15 minutes it is gone. It almost sounds like I have a small turbocharger under the hood! LOL! Doesn't bother me any. And now that I think about it, my 02' Stratus used to do that too!

Quick Reply: Whining noise on 02 Durango!