1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Poor Gas Mileage & Loss of power "Solved"

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 09:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ya know Kensai,

I still haven't changed mine after 171k miles....

I'm still gettin at least 15 on the Hwy and average at least 13 city if I stay off the throttle...... Kinda hard tho.

After the re-build I lost a little mileage because of the build and tightness of the motor. As the BFG's KO series tires shaved about 1 mpg off because the cupping of the air..... I did get better!....

Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastyz400
If it makes a difference, below is a link to some of the Dakotas owners that's tried a new map sensor and their responses.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-solved-4.html

Most of their responses reinforces my findings. They did not talk much on improved mpg, but improved power response. I definitely agree with the power gain by the new map sensor!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Kensai<----- Go OEM on the new sensors.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

+1. I believe OEM on the sensors is the ONLY way to go.

IndyDurango

Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Facory
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why OEM only? Auto Zone has one by Duralast for $67. You saying that this is no good? OEM is up to $93 - $123 from anyone else.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Kensai
Champion

Normally I would go with OEM or at least from NAPA. But due to recent budget crisis, I have to settle for something more low budget. It's cheap enough to at least try and see if it solves the problem. Spending $68 for a autozone sensor for testing is way better than $123 or more for OEM or other places.

Now that most of us guinea pigs have tried the fix and came back with great results, you can now proceed to prefer to buy OEM sensors to address your truck!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:15 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

It's only cheap if you don't have to replace it again prematurely.

Consider this... how many miles is on your current OEM sensor (any sensor, generic question.) Is that worthy of trusting another OEM sensor again? If yes... then buy only OEM.

My stocker IAC, MAP, TPS and rear O2 sensor for example have earned the right to be replaced with new OEM parts someday. When? 203,000+ miles later... dunno. I couldn't expect any better.

If I had saved 25% on price and had to replace any of them after 60,000 miles... would that have been a fair trade of savings verses life span, lack of issues and saved labor? Nope. On 60k miles vs my 203k miles, I would be on nearly a 4:1 ratio of aftermarket to OEM. Thats 4 times the cost, headaches and labor. Not worth it at all even though the replacement lasted a whopping 60,000 miles. Still a baby compared to OEM capacity.

IndyDurango <-- sold on OEM sensors for all sensor needs in the D.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Kensai
Champion

I replaced most of the sensors and my truck only has 90k miles on it. The only sensor truly gone bad was TPS sensor. The tranny and output sensor, I replaced those just in spite of everyone experienced problems with it and it is a common issue. I replaced those two sensors when I had my fluids replaced on the tranny, transfer case, and axles at the time.

I learned over time, that it seems to be very common that some of these OEM sensors on our trucks seem to go bad but not bad enough to send out a check engine light or even send the PCM a code. Example is the TPS sensor.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Neo1130
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya know, a LOT of the sensors out there, even though aftermarket, are still made by the SAME people that make the OEM parts... You just have to know who made it in the first place... So basically, you are paying for the Dodge name when going OEM... However, like I said, you have to know who made it originally... It's not like Dodge has a factory that makes EVERY Dodge part... They have to contract out the work...

Old 06-08-2009, 12:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by Neo1130
Ya know, a LOT of the sensors out there, even though aftermarket, are still made by the SAME people that make the OEM parts... You just have to know who made it in the first place... So basically, you are paying for the Dodge name when going OEM... However, like I said, you have to know who made it originally... It's not like Dodge has a factory that makes EVERY Dodge part... They have to contract out the work...
I totally agree with ya " if you can get the same part made by the same manufacture ".

Quick Reply: Poor Gas Mileage & Loss of power "Solved"