1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Front Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lv360ram
If the "track rods" are the same as the tie rod ends then only the toe was changed. If you are wanting it right then you can easily do it yourself. I do.
I use two 3ft long pieces of angle iron sitting on anything I have to support them about 10inches off the ground against each wheel. I use a tape measure to measure the distance from one side to the other in front of the wheels and then behind the wheels. Subtract the two numbers and it gives the toe.
I can accurately measure the toe to less than 1/16th inch and it's repeatable. By repeatable I mean that I can set it then drive it then check it again the next day and get the same measurement.
I know you think the shop should make it right but it's quicker and easier than going back to the shop even one time. What if you have to go twice? How much time are you wasting?
I'll give you guyz a chance to call BS on this before i waste any more words. If not then I can give more details on aligning the steering wheel.
Yup I agree no BS.... go ahead and share ur info. Done it myself like that (not to the Durango) and it worked fine

Old 06-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do hang around this site more than would I like...and I've discovered more about maintaining D's than I would care to know...!!

good thing I have a slightly obsessive character otherwise I'd be driving a Toyota by now...

The D will do back to United Motors (who are the dealers for Dodge & Chrysler here in Riyadh) when I go on leave in 3 weeks time back to the UK.

They can do the tracking (yet) again and will also probably pull the air inlet mainfold and replace the plenum gasket.

Just loss about 0.75 cm of oil off the dip stick on the 1000km retrn trip to Bahrain at the weekend...no visible external leaks and no oil fouling on any of the plugs...what else can it be...?? engine was rebuilt 60k and 2 years ago with new rings...

Chris

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Alignment