Front Wheel Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Alignment

Hi,

just had my upper front suspension bushings replaced...followed with a wheel alignment.

technician appeared to nail it on the first attempt when I took the D for a test drive - didn't pull and stopped straight - however the steering wheel wasn't aligned properly.

I can't stand it when I'm driving straight with the steering when isn't horizontal - it does my ****ing brain in....!!

There wasn't time to get it tracked on the machine again so he did a one third turn on the track rods and I took it for a drive. Still drives and stops straight, but now the steering resistance seems a lot higher when you turn the wheel.

I need to take it back to him, but I want to be able to describe this in terms he'll understand...

Chris

Old 06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Tell him it's not right and you can feel it.

Have him do it right this time!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya that crap when the wheel is not strait annoys the heck out of me as well. They can get it strait when doing the alignment, comes down to being "LAZY" and not taking the extra time to do it.

(i should say 99% of the time)

Last edited by schusterjo; 06-02-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:18 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+3. Simply take it back and tell then they didn't align the steering wheel. Their fault, they won't like to fix it but they will. May even require another alignment but you don't care. It's their issue.

Been there, done that.

IndyD

Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the "track rods" are the same as the tie rod ends then only the toe was changed. If you are wanting it right then you can easily do it yourself. I do.
I use two 3ft long pieces of angle iron sitting on anything I have to support them about 10inches off the ground against each wheel. I use a tape measure to measure the distance from one side to the other in front of the wheels and then behind the wheels. Subtract the two numbers and it gives the toe.
I can accurately measure the toe to less than 1/16th inch and it's repeatable. By repeatable I mean that I can set it then drive it then check it again the next day and get the same measurement.
I know you think the shop should make it right but it's quicker and easier than going back to the shop even one time. What if you have to go twice? How much time are you wasting?
I'll give you guyz a chance to call BS on this before i waste any more words. If not then I can give more details on aligning the steering wheel.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

No BS here because I've used the old way before and thats how it was done only with a tape but still the same effect.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:15 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

however, if you just paid for an alignment, it is expected that they also true up the steering wheel.

Make them fix it. Afterall, they got paid to do the work right the first time. Don't BS around with bars, rulers, math, etc. Your CASH should have done all that for you already.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 06-03-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
however, if you just paid for an alignment, it is expected that they also true up the steering wheel.

Make them fix it. Afterall, they got paid to do the work right the first time. Don't BS around with bars, rulers, math, etc. Your CASH should have done all that for you already.

IndyD
I agree with Indy. Get em to do it right like I said before.

The only thing I was saying is that basiclly how the old guys did it.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
Make them fix it.
IndyD
I disagree.

Many years ago I was talking to a guy at work about a similar issue. I was insisting that if someone paid to have something done then the person being paid should do the work. This wise old guy said "the guy getting paid to do the work may not be capable of doing it"

You can kindly ask to have the job done right, you can get upset and insist, or use any other persuation but you still can't force anybody to do anything. You can insist justice be done but you will pay for it. How much are you willing to pay?

Since Chris hasn't posted again, I predict that he will take his D back to the shop and everything will be fixed. Hopefully, he will report back with the good news.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by lv360ram
I disagree.

Many years ago I was talking to a guy at work about a similar issue. I was insisting that if someone paid to have something done then the person being paid should do the work. This wise old guy said "the guy getting paid to do the work may not be capable of doing it"

You can kindly ask to have the job done right, you can get upset and insist, or use any other persuation but you still can't force anybody to do anything. You can insist justice be done but you will pay for it. How much are you willing to pay?

Since Chris hasn't posted again, I predict that he will take his D back to the shop and everything will be fixed. Hopefully, he will report back with the good news.
In defense:

This is why I paid for a Lifetime Wheel Aglinment from Firestone. I personally have found this issue you are talking about and if I don't like it or don't think they can get the job done right then you take it to a different fasility. This is the reason you go with a national chain for this type of work. There has to be someone else that has compitance.

Besides Chris will be back. He hangs around here more than one thinks.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Alignment