1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

00 Durango Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM
briangcc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Durango Questions...

Got a few questions for the experts on my GF's Durango. Approximate mileage is 124k so here goes...

1. Drivers side washer nozzle is missing. She's going to order the nozzle and I get the job of installing it. What's the procedure as it looks like the cowling has to come off which means the wipers have to come off. Right?

2. 5.9L V8 - seems to be using a little bit of coolant. Not much but its disappearing somewhere. I noticed this particular model doesn't have an overflow bottle so either its getting burned out (head gasket I hear is common on these) or its getting dumped on the pavement somewhere. No leaks that I can see, hoses are tight - I checked them, and waterpump just replaced (by mechanic) so that leads me to assume head gasket. What are the typical signs of head gasket failure? Procedure to replace said gasket??

3. Just did an oil change this past weekend on it. Got 2.5qts out of it. I know that isn't right. Assuming the mechanic before me put the right amount of oil into the engine that would tell me I'm about 2.5qts short. Oil pan bolt was put on by a gorrilla and the oil filter and pan were clean of any oil leakage. Don't see or smell the tell tale of burning oil. Any ideas??

Thanks for any/all advice!

Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briangcc

1. Drivers side washer nozzle is missing. She's going to order the nozzle and I get the job of installing it. What's the procedure as it looks like the cowling has to come off which means the wipers have to come off. Right?
Yepp, wipers have to come off and the cowl. Good luck at the stealership for the spray nozzle though.. They are not cheap (i chose to swap in aftermarket after the dealership told me the price, forgot how much but it was alot)

2. 5.9L V8 - seems to be using a little bit of coolant. Not much but its disappearing somewhere. I noticed this particular model doesn't have an overflow bottle so either its getting burned out (head gasket I hear is common on these) or its getting dumped on the pavement somewhere. No leaks that I can see, hoses are tight - I checked them, and waterpump just replaced (by mechanic) so that leads me to assume head gasket. What are the typical signs of head gasket failure? Procedure to replace said gasket??
Typical signs are out the exhaust, but i have a feeling your issue might be the intake manifold plenium gasket. Take off your air cleaner and look down past the blades of the throttle body (engine off blades open). See if you can notice any wetness at the bottom of the intake manifold

3. Just did an oil change this past weekend on it. Got 2.5qts out of it. I know that isn't right. Assuming the mechanic before me put the right amount of oil into the engine that would tell me I'm about 2.5qts short. Oil pan bolt was put on by a gorrilla and the oil filter and pan were clean of any oil leakage. Don't see or smell the tell tale of burning oil. Any ideas??
It could of been underfiled/over ran, but also could be the above amongst a few other things

Old 06-03-2009, 04:59 PM
briangcc

Ohh goodie on the cowl. I was afraid of that but not surprised in the least. We're going to order a nozzle from moparpartsnorthwest.com $17.13 plus shipping. Yeah its alot but its a safety issue so she doesn't mind spending the $$.

Intake manifold gasket huh? Hmm seems simple enough to check. Thanks on that one!

We're going to keep an eye on the oil level and see how much it varies. I know old smokey out the exhaust when I see it and it isn't that problem.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never heard of a durango without a overflow reservoir. You may have missed it? I think the 2000 model at least, the reservoir is part of the shroud. You should see a yellow cap just to the right of the shroud if you are looking from front of durango.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

nozzle = solved/sucks.

coolant = look straight down on the top hose to the t-stat. Any green discoloration? That's a very typical leak point. New stat (180 degree replacement IMHO recommended for $10 and a 99 cent gasket) plus 30 minutes max to take off, clean and reinstall and done.

oil = low like that if correct is a very bad thing. You should have heard the lifters ticking at that low of a lubricant. If it did lose that much oil, take off the air hat and look straight down inside of the Throttle Body. Do you see any oil inside the intake or is it dry and clean? Lots of oil means you have found your culprit... the typical plenum gasket. Do not replace, repair with the APS/Hughes kit as linked 2 days ago in a similar thread.

coolant Reservoir = indeed you must have one. It IS built into the fan shroud. Not untypical to be dry... especially with a coolant leak.

The 5.9 runs good on low coolant, terrible on low oil. Maybe the low oil all sludged up?

IndyDurango
(wink wink)

Old 06-03-2009, 11:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

With the coolant tank missing, the steam can't condense in cool antifreeze and therefore goes into the air. You can get a new one from www.rockauto.com for cheap (like 20 bucks). It goes just on the drivers side of the radiator between the radiator and the head light in front of the rubber cover. The fill neck goes just on the other side of the front clip into the engine bay. It has a yellow cap. It is law that every vehical has one. You need to replace it if it is gone. Remember to replace the rubber line from radiator cap to overflow.

You could find the spray nozzle in a juck yard.

The oil was low. Do a change out. The 5.9L takes between 5 quarts and 5.5 quarts. Mine takes 5.5 quarts.

I like OEM filters. You can buy the Fully Synthetic 10W-30 (good oil name brand) from $22 for Pensoil to $28 for Mobil 1 at Walmart for a 5 quart container. They also sell OEM Mopar filters for like $4 bucks.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

I bet $5 he has a coolant reservoir.

briangcc, does your windshield washers work? (the one that is there)

IndyDurango
(remember, 2000+ Ds are different from 1999- Ds in terms of reservoirs.)

Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
briangcc

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
nozzle = solved/sucks.

coolant = look straight down on the top hose to the t-stat. Any green discoloration? That's a very typical leak point. New stat (180 degree replacement IMHO recommended for $10 and a 99 cent gasket) plus 30 minutes max to take off, clean and reinstall and done.

oil = low like that if correct is a very bad thing. You should have heard the lifters ticking at that low of a lubricant. If it did lose that much oil, take off the air hat and look straight down inside of the Throttle Body. Do you see any oil inside the intake or is it dry and clean? Lots of oil means you have found your culprit... the typical plenum gasket. Do not replace, repair with the APS/Hughes kit as linked 2 days ago in a similar thread.

coolant Reservoir = indeed you must have one. It IS built into the fan shroud. Not untypical to be dry... especially with a coolant leak.

The 5.9 runs good on low coolant, terrible on low oil. Maybe the low oil all sludged up?

IndyDurango
(wink wink)

Indy - There was some coolant pooling near the T-stat but that dried up once I tightened the hose clamp. The housing itself looks like its rusting so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a slow leak. I'm going to check it again this coming weekend when I get some time to really dig into it. Coolant in overflow has been getting topped off weekly.

Could you link me to the kit you mentioned? How much aggrivation am I in for replacing it IF its the culprit? ** Yes really 2.5qts drained total. No lifter noise or any other noise coming out of the engine compartment. I'm checking the level when she brings it over tonight.

Yes there's an overflow tank. I'm used to seeing it off to the side, not ontop of the radiator. Weird design - not sure I like it but it is what it is.

Yes the washers do work. The nozzle is missing off the driver's side so its kinda important to get that installed.

Hydrashocker - Used Castrol GTX when I did the oil change for her this past weekend. Wally World had it on sale for $12 for a 5qt container with Fram Toughgaurd filter.

Ran that in my Dodge Daytona until I sold it - had about 130K on it when I offloaded it. Still ran well but I think the turbo was going.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can get a new neck from the dealer. Mine was $8.

Quick Reply: 00 Durango Questions...