1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Dodge Durango Malfunction Indicator Light-Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:48 AM
2002DodgeDurangoMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 Dodge Durango Malfunction Indicator Light-Help

I need help. Yesterday i took apart my dash to put in an aftermarket in dash radio which took forever. I finally finished and when i started up my car and saw the Malfunction Indicator Light and freaked out. I dont know if it was my fault by putting in the radio or it just happened. We did however keep the car in 1st gear for like 5 hours strait so maybe thats it. Please someone help me with this problem. Thanks

Old 06-14-2009, 12:32 PM
kev2
Veteran

you had in 1st gear - ign switch was on?

I believe instructions would mention to disconnect battery....

Lets take it easy, 2options to determine problem.
1- use the key trick- ign switch off to run* in this sequence
off-on-off-no-off-on.... hopefully codes will display in digital odometer.

2- take advantage of the free CEL scan at auto parts stores such as AUTOZONE

post the codes someone will advise once we know them

*run position NOT start

Old 06-14-2009, 12:46 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

First Things first. You say that had was in 1st I am figuring this was to remove the instrument panel bezel. Correct?

With that conclusion 1. WAS PARKING BRAKE SET? SAFETY FIRST!!!

2. Was power applied to ignition while vehicle was in first gear? I can probably figure short momentary accessory power for checking power and operation of radio but other than that was power applied? If the key was left in accessory for all that time, in addition to the constant bing-bing-bing!!! you would probably have a dead battery.

I dont imagine the radio causing the M.I.L. but you never know with todays electronics.

Take Vehicle to AutoZone or Advance, they can read the code. It might be simple, and might be complicated. Get the code read first let us know what the code is then we can go from there. A/Z or Advance should not charge to read the code, and only takes about 5 minutes.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MAGIC

Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM
2002DodgeDurangoMan

ok i got the codes...i think...tell me if they sound right....i got P 0137. if its not ill try again and look for something else. thanks

Old 06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Remember when I said this could be simple or complicated? Well this sounds not so simple. Based on your code, this is what I have found. This comes from directly from Chiltons Dakota/Durango 2003-03 Repair Manual Chapter 6 EMISSIONS AND CONTROL SYSTEMS Page 6-7

P0137 DOWNSTREAM OXYGEN SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW VOLTAGE LEFT CYLINDER BANK.

Here is the breakdown The Durango uses 4 02 sensors. 2 pre cat converter (UPSTREAM)
and 2 post cat converter (DOWNSTREAM) One for the drivers side bank 1-3-5 for V6 and 1-3-5-7 for V8 1 is always the front of the engine. The Passengers side bank is 2-4-6 for V6 and 2-4-6-8 for V8 again from front-rear. When they call left and right they are referencing the drivers seat looking forward.

With that said, it is indicating a low voltage condition in the drivers side POST CAT Converter sensor.

With That said! The downstream O2 sensor has no effect on PCM control of the air fuel ratio.

There is a lot more info in the Chiltons manual chapter 6 Pager 19 and 20. FYI Since Haynes brought Chiltons the info in the Haynes manual should be about the same.

It is weird that a radio install could trigger a O2 sensor fault but thats what this forum is all about catching that weird one. I think the o2 sensor fault was laying in wait and just happened to trigger. Just out of curiousity, we got a 2002 year but what model, engine and drive train 4x2/4x4? and lastly mileage......?

Hydra, Indy, Sharp, Can you verify my findings so far.?

MAGIC

Old 06-14-2009, 09:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You got it.

3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L only have two O2 senors one upstream and one downstream.

The 4.7L has a upstream sensor as indicated by "magic" one on the passenger side and one on the drivers side before the CAT and After the CAT for each side. 4 together in total.

One problem with that O2 sensor is power steering issues can leak into the harness creating a bad connection. This or corrosion is the biggest problem throwing this code. Get the harness appart and clean it up good ensuring a good connection. Then put new electronic harness grease inside and button it up.

Left side should be the drivers side.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 06-14-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:25 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

im gonna confirm tomorrow, but im pretty sure my 4.7 only had 2 o2 sensors, and one cat, not 2

Quick Reply: 2002 Dodge Durango Malfunction Indicator Light-Help