1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

AC Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Weatherdemon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Question

Is it possible to upgrade the compressor on a 4.7 liter or is does anyone have a recommendation on what the best compressor is?

I was hit directly on my drivers side front tire last year at about 35 MPH. It caused issues with power steering, the AC, transmission cooler, and a host of other items.
It was all fixed but since then the AC just doesn't get cool when it is 90 degree's or higher unless I am going 40MPH or faster. I had it serviced a couple of a weeks ago and they added a touch of freon but it didn't really help.

Any suggestions on what to do to improve ther performance of the AC?

Also, does the air return under the passenger dash board have an air filter that might need to be replaced?

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

No cabin air filter.

Your problem could be the expansion valve or H valve. Also could be water in the system. Have it vacuumed and then re-install your freon back and replace the dryer.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Weatherdemon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The didn't mention water when they evac'ed the system. They did add oil due to a knocking in the compressor.

I'll check the valves.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Replace the dryer as well.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the washer as well! You have to have a matching set!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weatherdemon
Is it possible to upgrade the compressor on a 4.7 liter or is does anyone have a recommendation on what the best compressor is?

I was hit directly on my drivers side front tire last year at about 35 MPH. It caused issues with power steering, the AC, transmission cooler, and a host of other items.
It was all fixed but since then the AC just doesn't get cool when it is 90 degree's or higher unless I am going 40MPH or faster. I had it serviced a couple of a weeks ago and they added a touch of freon but it didn't really help.

Any suggestions on what to do to improve ther performance of the AC?

Also, does the air return under the passenger dash board have an air filter that might need to be replaced?

Thanks!

Before you do all the recommendations by our users here, Check your electric fan (aux fan). As you mentioned that your system seems to cool only when you are running at 40 mph or faster, it sounds like you have poor air flow to cool down the condenser coil in front of the radiator. If E-Fan checks okay, take your Durango to a carwash and power wash the condensor coil really good.

If all above seems to be okay, check your clutch fan to make sure it is pulling enough air. Does your Durango run much warmer than normal? (Temp gauge approaching 210 or higher?)

Old 06-23-2009, 06:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

^ That is true ^

Take the truck to the washer open the hood and power spray the condensor out as well as back flush spray through the radiator. Both look like a radiator on the front end.

Quick Reply: AC Question