1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Info needed on head gasket swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Take pictures and thanks for the update.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
worldclasssniper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I would have been taking more pictures prior to the teardown. The 7 and 8 pistons were trashed, and they messed up the cylinders pretty good. I am not going for power or anything like that so I may just bore those cylinders a little til theyre cleansed up, and replace them. There was a little schrapnel on the heads, but IMO not terrible. Im gonna see if they cant be cleaned up a little and back to new. Another option I am going to look into is finding a part out truck or a decently priced running motor and going with that. If I do that I will just rebuild this motor slowly and eventually throw it into a rail and have a dune toy. SWEET!!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you just bore the 7 and 8 cylinders she's gonna buck a lil. Just bore all the cylinders 20 to 30 over (what ever you can get away with) install flat top pistons or just buy the bigger rings and use the same OEM pistons. I know you want to do it cheap, but like I tell my plants "if you do it cheap you get cheap results" ......IMHO.....Do it right and you'll have a strong great motor do it cheap and don't call when you need a tow.....Ya know?

Quick Reply: Info needed on head gasket swap