1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Misfire, faulty coil pack help

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:10 AM
yogi_stvl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire, faulty coil pack help

So I've got a 01' Dodge Durango 4.7, and long story short mom had the good idea while i was gone to clean the engine. With a hose and some water. So naturally she fouled a coil pack(s). The ride misfires and is sluggish. I replaced the spark plugs( that were all fouled) and it still threw me a code so it's probably a coil pack. My question is I don't have a code reader and I dont plan on buying one. Any way to narrow down which cylinder is off? Trial and error?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:37 AM
KWhale

I have the same year and engine on mine, so this should work for you. You can display the check engine codes, without having a reader. Just get in, close the door, put the key in the ignition. Now turn the key to On, then Off, then On, Off and On. (note On is not Start, but the normal position the key is in when the engine is running)
Once you do that sequence, the odometer will change and begin to cycle through all existing error codes. Write them down. If you miss some, you can do the key dance again, and get the ones you missed. This does not clear the error codes, it simply displays them for you.
I hope this works for you.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:43 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome yogi! Try this link, it has all th codes and explanations you need. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ine-light.html
If you need to clear the codes, then you need to take off the neg terminal connection fron your battery and THEN turn the key to the on position for 15 seconds, that will drain all the power and reset the CEL. It won't hurt the electronics but you will need to reset the time and radio stations. The just reconnect the neg terminal and you're done! IMO, I got a cheapo reader to clear the codes after I fixed the problem. Saved me from resetting all the stuff..LOL... HTH

Old 08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
yogi_stvl

So my car threw me the code p0304 which came out to be misfire in cylinder 4. Great right? bought a new coil pack spark plug was fouled. Replaced the plug, fouled again. Then switched the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder coil packs with a new spark plug in 4 cylinder. I wishing that the new code would say the 6 cylinder was fouled, but it was the 4 cylinder again. I don't get what's fouling the plug again and again. Something got wet that is causing the relay between the coil pack and the spark plug.
Any thoughts?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Replace the plugs with good old Regular Champion Copper $2 plugs (OEM).

Old 08-15-2009, 03:34 PM
yogi_stvl

I actually did replace all the plugs w/ champion plugs. But the #4 fouled again.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:58 AM
yogi_stvl

Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Check the harness for water that goes into the coil over and possibly replace it.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:24 PM
yogi_stvl

I'll check the harness this weekend. Could this also be a result of a faulty injector perhaps? Update on the car... I just drove it around the block and it stalled three times and is completely sluggish.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Could be a fuel pump. Check the pressure and it should be above 50 psi. Also maybe a TPS. Check voltage on the TPS.

Quick Reply: Misfire, faulty coil pack help