1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm... It seems I can move the TCM lower towards the original air intake or right on top of the wheel well. A couple of sheet metal screws to hold it in place... I'm gonna have to look into that. Will do a full write up when I can and when the weather permits. Here in NYC we're looking at thunderstorms until Sunday... Damn...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

I see your point Fac, but won't that be the same thing as having the original air intake? What the two gurus (hydra and Indy) are trying to teach me and others is how to get a homebrew ram air install to work on our Ds. You have it simple cause you don't have the TCM in the way like 4.7Ls do. Which I have and that's why I'm being yelled at and prodded to figure out for myself...LOL... JK guys!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was concerned over water in both my piped setup (similar to how you guys are doing it) and when I moved over the the functional Ram Air hood. Never has been an issue over the years. I believe it is overrated as a concern.

When driving in the rain/water/etc... ever concerned over the gapping holes between the fender wells that enter into the motor area? That area is 100X larger than any directional pipe we are working on here in the future.

IndyDurango

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Okay you all know my dismal first attempt at making a homebrew CAI:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...console-2.html

Here is my second attempt I hope I redeemed myself hydra and Indy.
First I disconnected the TCM wireloom using the bolt to loosen the connection.
Name:  TCMWIRELOOM.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  43.8 KB
Okay, here's the TCM's bolts: It has three one right at the top middle of the TCM bracket and two on the bottom of the bracket.
Name:  UPPERBOLT.jpg
Views: 1758
Size:  35.2 KB
Name:  LOWERBOLTS2.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  29.4 KB
I had to bend the tab that was protruding out of the bracket cause it was getting in the way of the frame. I also bolted the bracket into the frame using one of the existing bolt holes.
Name:  RELOCATEDTCM.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  35.0 KB
Then I zip-tied the top bracket hole because it didn't line up with the fender wall. Then I tightened the bolt to make the connection.
Name:  RELOCATEDTCM2.jpg
Views: 1750
Size:  29.9 KB
I then reconnected the tubing and widened the opening throughout the length. Notice how much better the tubing looks?
Name:  EXPANDEDTUBE.jpg
Views: 1776
Size:  44.2 KB
Another view of the reroute. I like the way the TCM is out of the way freeing up more space for more airflow!!!
Name:  EXPANDEDTUBE2.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  41.8 KB
The homebrew scoop for the ram air.
Name:  FUNNELAFTER.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  35.7 KB
Before it was a scoop. I cut off the narrow end just enough to screw the tubing in to make a secure connection and I cut off the lip at the opening of the funnel.
Name:  FUNNELBEFORE.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  35.7 KB
The view after I zip-tied the scoop to an a/c line.
Name:  RAMAIR.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  35.8 KB
The view through the grill.
Name:  BEHINDGRILL.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  48.7 KB

I think the relocation of the TCM will not affect the cooling properties of the fins cause it has been relocated right in front of the original air intake so it will get airflow no matter what. Okay, this long entry has come to an end. Now for the feedback be they good or bad. All is welcome.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
jumpwake
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work, could you tell a difference from your prior setup? I think I may try moving the PCM as well. I have one question though...I ordered a 6x9 K&N, but I haven't seen any pics on how people are attaching them inside the airbox. Do I need to buy an adapter of some sort?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Mean Green
Champion

It just drops in. That setup looks pretty good Dan. Definitely make sure the TCM gets enough airflow to it take the D for a spin and check the temp of it when you get where you're going. I' don't think it will be an issue but just verify.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Thanks jump. I'll know the diff when I take my family to a friend's house upstate this saturday. You mean the TCM, right? The PCM is located near the driver's side firewall(?). Do you have a 4.7L as well? The k&n filter replaces our standard filter like Mean said.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

I kinda had a feeling the TCM heats up due to the fins...LOL... I got lucky the old intake hole was right there to give it some airflow. I'll definitely check that out when I get to my friend's house.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks good Dan!

This is what I'm going to use as a funnel. It's a simple black plastic pipe flashing for the roof and it has a rubber seal. Looking at moving the temp sensor first though.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...B34&lpage=none

Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker

Pipe flashing!!! D'oh!!! Why didn't I think of that??? I was just at home depot too!!! Maybe you don't have to move the temp sensor... Why not cut a piece off the collar that would be touching the sensor? Or don't cut it cause the sensor is usually behind a rubber shield originally, right? I assume you're gonna mount the "scoop" long side down to catch more cold air?

Quick Reply: 5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY