1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 PM
durangoSLTV8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My set up looks exactly like Hydrashocker's, except I used non-perforated drain tile. (Couldn't get any flex pipe). I upgraded to a high performance K&N filter and then I hit the highway today. It was pissin' rain so hard I almost had to pull over (for 85 miles). There was water in the modified air intake, there was water in the bottom of the air box but nothing made it past the K&N filter, it was all dry on top.

I was worried at first, and even pulled into a service station to check it but was relieved to find everything after the filter was dry!

By the way, I went 78 miles on 1/8 tank of gas at 70MPH.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One the mount, I was thinking leaning it to the drivers side to catch more air coming in the grill slots, but if I don't have the room the down like you are saying.

I'll cut a slight 1/32 section to slide the wiring through the flats of the flashing and remount it to the front clip. Thats a great way to hold it in place. Most of the flat part of the surface (except mounting areas) will be taken off. But the seal on it is great for mounting it around the pipe and it's black.

How do you like the difference Dan?

Old 07-20-2009, 01:04 AM
mrwilliwizard
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like hydroshockers way of making his air intake but yea won't a bunch of rain be coming in if its stormy outside? i suppose not all the water coming in will evaporate. your filter will get soaked.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the way you will be mounting the funnel hydra. I'm visualizing it and you are correct as usual. I was thinking about my 4.7 engine compartment. You have a larger space than I do regarding your mounting of the ram. I appreciate you taking my suggestion about cutting a section off to allow for the sensor. And of course we will want pics of the finished procuct.
Mrwilli, hydra has perforated drainage tubing that would let excess water run out of it and he has a k&n filter that the oil from it will prevent any water from the intake. I think...

Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by mrwilliwizard
I like hydroshockers way of making his air intake but yea won't a bunch of rain be coming in if its stormy outside? i suppose not all the water coming in will evaporate. your filter will get soaked.
I've driven this thing through every walk of weather conditions imaginable and never had a problem period!

First you need to get a K&N filter. They are oiled so water doesn't stick to them so it falls off to the bottom of the OEM air box. Additionally, the K&N is a high flow filter. I've never had snow block it either. I keep a regular filter in the back just in case even if there is a problem then I can just take it off in 2 seconds and then install a clean dry filter. I've never had to do that period.

Keep in mind that if you use regular filters in this set up that they will turn to mush so don't do it!

Dan
hydra has perforated drainage tubing that would let excess water run out of it and he has a k&n filter that the oil from it will prevent any water from the intake. I think

They are already on the the OEM box. They are just holes that are already there. I didn't drill it out or anything.

Going to finish this weekend when I have time considering I have a assigned vehicle.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: I was caught in the downpour here in NYC yesterday and after it stopped, I checked the ram air. The funnel was damp but I didn't see any noticeable wetness in the tubing and definately no wetness in the airbox so I guess it passed thewater test? I'm gonna keep the stock filter until the next oil change and go with k&n.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

We told you!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  100_2840.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  132.3 KB

Is that a roofing shingle you placed in there or did you hack through the stock plastics in that area with a ice pick?

Functional? Yea. Fugly? Yea too.
A smooth pipe on the inside would flow better than that corrugated plastic hose thing.

Just saying!

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 10-11-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

It's the OEM splash guard. As you can see it's been weather checked and is falling apart. As for the corrugation, yes it flows better if it's smooth but with using the OEM air box with a K&N drop in with OEM corrugated rubber line going to the Throttle Body from the air box is kinda, well "idiotic". Now if you installed smooth line the hole way then yes I would agree with you.

One thing you have to consider though, the pipe I used is a bit larger diameter then the intake on the OEM air box making it flow better than it looks. The main point I want to make in this thread is, one can install a very cheap yet functional method of a true CIA using only a drop in K&N oiled filter and some type of piping that is punched into the front end. Can we make it better? Hell ya! But for a non corrosive approach and for cheap $ cash....It works great!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, I guess the 98 and 2000 models have different type of setup at that location. If you look at my pic, the sensor does not exist there?

Quick Reply: 5.9L, 5.2L, 3.9L, and 4.7L Custom Ram Air - DIY