1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission Fluid & Filter Change: Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM
JRDANIELS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid & Filter Change: Help

I'm in the process of changin my transmission fluid and filter. I have removed all the bolts from my transmission pan but I can't get the darn pan to come off. I have tried tapping around the pan with a rubber mallet and tried to pry it off as well. Any advice? Also, This may sound dumb but where do you put the new fluid in at? Thanks

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The trany pan should just come off. Make sure you have all the bolts out. Sometimes people will put gasket sealant on em making it a bitch to get off. Leave some bolts in because when it goes all the fluid comes out as well so be prepared. After you get it down replace the filter wipe out the pan and clean off the magnet in there. Make sure the magnet stays in the bottom of the pan when re-installing it. Rubber gaskets are the best and if that is what you have you can re-use it. If it's hard then don't. You take a little grease and lube the gasket before installation. Do not use RTV silicone on a rubber gasket.

ONLY USE ATF+4 FLUID! The fluid will go in through the dip stick hole. Check your owners manual to find the correct procedures to check the fluid level. Don't overfill the transmission.

The only way to get it out is to remove the pan bringing up another point. This is a great thing to install while you have the pan out. B&M also sells one and most auto parts stores have em:

Quick Drain Valve from Fumoto Engineering
http://www.fumotousa.com/

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
JRDANIELS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The trany pan should just come off. Make sure you have all the bolts out. Sometimes people will put gasket sealant on em making it a bitch to get off. Leave some bolts in because when it goes all the fluid comes out as well so be prepared. After you get it down replace the filter wipe out the pan and clean off the magnet in there. Make sure the magnet stays in the bottom of the pan when re-installing it. Rubber gaskets are the best and if that is what you have you can re-use it. If it's hard then don't. You take a little grease and lube the gasket before installation. Do not use RTV silicone on a rubber gasket.

ONLY USE ATF+4 FLUID! The fluid will go in through the dip stick hole. Check your owners manual to find the correct procedures to check the fluid level. Don't overfill the transmission.

The only way to get it out is to remove the pan bringing up another point. This is a great thing to install while you have the pan out. B&M also sells one and most auto parts stores have em:

Quick Drain Valve from Fumoto Engineering
http://www.fumotousa.com/
Thanks for the help. I finally got the damn pan off and like you said someone put a bunch of sealant on it and it was def. a bitch to get off! I thought you filled it through the dip stick hole but since it was at an angle I thought maybe there was a differant place to fill it.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

LOL...... Been there and done that one!

Nope, thats the way you fill it. Did ya do rubber or the same RTV/cork gasket?

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid & Filter Change: Help