1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

SPEED

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 02:39 AM
DukeAPD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPEED

I was driving today and realized how unstable my durango is at high speed and at fast breaking I feel the wheel jerk alot. Out of curiosoty what is the fastest you guys went in your durango and what year is it.
mine is a 98 and i went about 75-80 mph so slow concidering ive been in 110 mph car accidents =\

Old 03-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Bamboo
Rookie
Default RE: SPEED

My speed limiter is set to 128 MPH and I've had the speedo pegged to 120 with the speed still climbing. You're right about it not being stable. These things are like bricks and not designed to go that fast. It wanders all over the lane and shakes like hell. My adult son's eye's where wide open as we looked at each when we kept climbing in speed. I held it there for maybe 30 seconds until it was scaring the **** out of me too much to keep it going. Cool thing was, the motor was so smooth and just purring like a kitten. Forget about braking when going that fast. I would have killed us if I had touched the brakes.

We were on a long flat straightaway in central Oregon with no traffic either direction.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:41 PM
cardfan

Maybe it is an R/T thing, I have the 2001 R/T and have noticed nothing like what you are describing... I have only been to 113 or so but mine seems very stable... No worries..

Old 03-24-2005, 03:03 AM
Bamboo
Rookie

I had my skinny mud tires on at the time could be one reason why. The Yokohamas I have for the summer have been up to 100 MPH or so with no problems. Your R/T has a firmer suspension then the SLT's as well.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Must be an R/T thing! LOL, my R/T is very stable on the highway, even above 100 m.p.h., I agree with what you were saying about the engine being just as smooth as can be!

Quick Reply: SPEED