1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango 4.7 OverHeating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 PM
guido232
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating on 2001 Durango w/4.7L

I have mine fixed now and after reading comments from others, here is my two cents worth.

I have had my Durrango 5 1/2 years, put about 60,000 miles on in that time. I noticed this past spring the temp was running hotter then usual. After several problem solving things here is what I recommend if you are wondering what to do.

First check your radiator for clogs, mine was bad enough that of the 4 gallons it can hold, when flushed it only took about 2 1/2 gallons(the guys weren't smart to think there was a problem). Also check your fan clutch, make sure it is working, same with the electric fan. A good shop can tell you by heat sensors on the radiator clogs. Stick with the same 195 deg stat if you change it, and use either OEM or a high quality one.

So after $450 worth of work, I had a new radiator installed, new heavy duty fan clutch. And as I was told, there is only one radiator for the Durango, not a larger on for the 5.9 engine.

Results; My baby is back to running normal temp and smooth. I did spend the money to have a block check done and a radiator flush. When I took it in for the block check, they checked it and found the block in the radiator. Hope this will help the next person that is going crazy. And just a side note on things, my daughter and friend overheated my engine, blew a radiator hose and toasted it. So I had to replaced the engine with a used one.

Good luck

Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ngansen
The guys arguing about which thermostat is better are not helping, we need good info as they seem to be quite knowledgeable.
The information is there so if you read it, it will instruct you.

4.7L go to the dealer and get a OEM 195 T-stat and bleed the system like your supposed to do.

5.2L and 5.9L I would install a 180 T-stat with a bleed hole.

We are not arguing, we're having a conversation and disagreements all the while giving you free information if you pay attention.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango 4.7 OverHeating Problems