Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM
energumeno
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the fluid and is ok.

Also is happening constantly no matter if on 2wd or 4wd. Both lights turn on in less than a minute after I start driving.

Also RWABS is not working, truck seems to be braking as usual but ABS does not kick in no matter how hard i press on the brakes

Will try to change the differential and transmission sensors to see if it helps

Old 01-24-2011, 11:46 AM
energumeno
Amateur

Well, i changed both sensors, differential and trasnmission and the lights stayed the same. they turned on after i drove for about one minute.

After that i changed the brake switch that is located behind the brake pedal and this finally cured the problem.

Just to document my problem was
1. Brake and ABS lights turned on when starting the truck and then they will go off.
2. Brake and ABS lights will turn on after a minute of driving always
3. speedo was working fine at all speeds
4. Cruise control was not working, the Cruisse light will turn on on green when activated but the set button did not do anything

Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Usarmy#1

Ok i need help! Please I have a 2000 Dodge Durango and the ABS light came on and the brake light and there is this noise coming from under the hood i think it is the hydrolic motor for the ABS. I disconnected the sensor above the differential and it is still running, the only way to make it stop is unplug it from under the hood on top of the motor. Can anyone help please?

Old 02-08-2011, 01:11 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Usarmy#1
Ok i need help! Please I have a 2000 Dodge Durango and the ABS light came on and the brake light and there is this noise coming from under the hood i think it is the hydrolic motor for the ABS. I disconnected the sensor above the differential and it is still running, the only way to make it stop is unplug it from under the hood on top of the motor. Can anyone help please?
Please start a new topic rather than asking a new question in another topic. Sounds like your ABS pump/module is shot though.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:52 AM
Rango360

I got a 98 D 360,my Abs and brake light comes on and goes off when it feels like it but my speedometer works fine,could it still be the rear diff sensor or the abs unit under the hood,any ideas guys ?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rango360
I got a 98 D 360,my Abs and brake light comes on and goes off when it feels like it but my speedometer works fine,could it still be the rear diff sensor or the abs unit under the hood,any ideas guys ?
Just because the speedometer is accurate doesn't rule out one of the vehicle sped sensors. If your ABS system works fine, its not the module under the hood. When this occurs its more than likely a speed sensor.

I'd replace the one on the transmission first because its cheaper and if not that replace the one on the rear axle.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:34 PM
az-phil

First off, many thanks to hydrashocker and eagle2232. I found both their detailed instructions and tips very helpful.

I had the following issues with my 2000 Dodge Durango:
  • ABS light was on
  • Brake light was on
  • Speedometer would not work until I hit 20mph
  • Shifting from 1st to 2nd was rough (would kick when I hit 20mph)
Based on everyone's posts, I figured replacing the rear ABS Speed Sensor would be the best bet at a fix. I first tried my neighborhood parts shops (Autozone and O'Reilly/Checker), and got lucky at O'Reilly. They had one for $32 that worked perfect (part# ABS314).

I followed hydrashocker and eagle2232 instructions, and had no problems fixing it in less than an hour. I'm not afraid to change my own oil, brakes, plugs, etc., but I'm definitely no mechanic. Here are a few additional tips for guys like me:
  • The ABS sensor sits on top of the rear differential slightly towards the front of the truck. So it's smack in the middle of your axel between the rear tires.
  • Remove your spare tire to get easier access to that area (thanks to the guy that mentioned this on one of the posts)
  • I used my jack and lifted the back up a little to give me more room. Place the jack at your frame near one of your rear tires (don't jack up the axel).
  • I slid in from the back of the truck and found it pretty easy to get my head up near rear differential so I could see what I was doing.
  • I used 1/2 and 9/16 deep sockets just has hydrashocker mentioned.
  • I found it easier to pop the wire harness clip off the sensor after I pulled the sensor out. I was afraid to break the clip, and was able to work with it more gently once the sensor was off. My clip was on there good, so I even had to use a small flat head screw driver to gently help me lift the clip so I could slide it out.
Putting it back together was easy, but remember what order you took things off. I forgot the metal sheild cover, but it only took a minute to back up and get it on there.

I followed eagle2232's instruction to disconnect the battery's negative before starting and then turn the ignition for 30 secs at the end. Not sure if that helped, but my ABS/Brake lights were immediately out when I started it up. I didn't have to drive it a while like some said. The speedometer was also working, and the shifting was nice and smooth.

Thanks again!!!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:44 PM
BLK HMMWV
Default ABS ?'s

Hi Guys new to the forum.
I tried to read everything that has been asked allready before I posted but so far no help with my problems.

I have several issues but I'll try and keep this post ABS related.
I have a 1999 Durango SLT 4X4 with the 5.9 V8 4 wheel ABS (or 3) from what I can tell. I have wheel speed sensors on front wheels and a sensor in the rear diff.
Problem:
ABS light on, Brake light on, no problem with speedo.

I tried checking the front sensors with a DVM first.
Pass showed 1k ohms
Drivers showed open. I pulled drivers side and noticed it was very dirty. After cleaning it I decided to just check it with the DVM and it showed 1k ohms( actually around 998 or so) so I stuck it back in. I then decided to check the rear sensor in the top of the diff. It showed open. I bought a new one ,brought it home and checked it with the DVM before I installed it and it showed open. WTH, is it bad? I but it in any way.
I tried the reset. Negative terminal off, key on, brakes held to the floor for 15 or so seconds. Hooked up battery started car lights still on, so I took it for a little spin on the freeway and some surface streets. Lights still on.
Do I need to reset it by way of the diagnostic reader or something?

I have issues with the cruse control as well but will try and post in a different thread unless you think it's related.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks for your time
George

Old 04-02-2011, 08:04 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

replace the output speed sensor on the transmission tail shaft, it is also known to throw the abs light (its a $20 sensor)

Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be the brake light switch on top of the brake petal.

Also grab the E-brake and pull up on it and see if the brake light goes off, if it does replace the E-brake switch on to of the E-brake as well. Both of these are under the dash.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!