See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Brake and ABS Light help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM
LaneTN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My ABS and brake light came on last week as well. Took it to the dealer and they told me the code was for the rear ABS sensor located in the diff. I have now replaced it twice one aftermarket and one dealer. Light goes off everytime I shut the car off. I drive for a block or two and it pops back on. I have even disconected the battery and let it sit over night and hooked it back up in the morning. Lights still come on. I have nore done a complete front brake job rotors calipers pads replaced all sensors even replaced the rack and pinion because it was leaking. I even replcaed the shocks. And still light comes on. Also while driving my speedometer goes all over the place and sometimes doesnt work at all. The next thing I am replacing is the PCM. ANyone have an idea what else could be going on. Really do not want to replcae the ABS module. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

replace the speed sensor on the transmission output shaft, its a $20 sensor iirc and works with the rear wheel speed sensor, they tend to go bad together. and this is part of the speed calculations

although if you only have the ram mentioned next to your name you are posting in the wrong section.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Magicwand

Originally Posted by NikolaTesla
The reservoir is topped off to just above the fill line. Lights still come on even when just crusing on the gas pedal. Note: Lights are not necessarily on when I first start the car, most of the time they light sometime while driving.
Is there a chance the vacuum booster has failed. There will be a air leaking sound near the break rod.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:38 AM
gusheidisky
Default sensor or control module

Low brake fluid should trip only the brake warning light. If the ABS light is on also, then the system thinks there's a problem with either a sensor or the ABS control module. In my 2000 Durango R/T, all sensors tested OK with the multi-meter. I had my friendly repair shop do a computer diagnosis, and they came up with the control module. At the time it was on back-order from MoPar. "Refurbished" modules were no-where to be found on-line, but I'm not sure I would have been happy to use one of those anyway. I drove with the light on until the part arrived. It's been perfect ever since. I may have mentioned it in an earlier reply, but they also replaced the rear-brake pressure control valve, and it brakes better/flatter than it did from new.

- roger

Old 07-21-2011, 11:39 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can always swap a module with the same year/motor/drivetrain as yours and they will be plug and play. However, it has to have the same 2 or 4 wheel ABS system as your old system. 4 wheel ABS was an option.

+1 Sharps on the trasmission output sensor.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:25 AM
babyelephant
Amateur

My ABS and parking brake lamps lit earlier this summer. Thank you guys, I replaced the rear sensor and now everything's fine!

I have receipts from previous owner in 2006 showing the ABS module were replaced by a shop at around 70.000 km (45.000 miles) for a lot of cash. Now I bought Mopar original rear sensor via eBay. The old sensor teared up while prying it up, but I was prepared for that after reading here. My worst problem was to get the new one in. I oiled it and the axle hole, but couldn't force it in from lying under the car. I had jacked it up by the frame to give me more room, so I laid a peace of wood on top and carefully hammered it in. No problem this way. I didn't unhook the battery cable and the light was still lit after startup. Took it for a spin and the lamps then shut of at 15-20 mph. Nice day!

Old 09-12-2011, 07:07 PM
NavyEng

You guys were bang on with this one, Thanks. I have a 98 Durango 5.9 with 2 wheel ABS andMy brake light and ABS light lit up, only to be followed by the Speedometer acting up a few weeks later. Changed out the RWSS and all is well once again,

Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad they could help you out.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:03 PM
lostzerocool
Default on my 2003

my 2003 just had a simular issue after playing in the rain last night. Both the ABS and brake light are on now and I was already plannig to change the brake pads this weekend, guess I will repalce the senor on the differential too I will let you guys know if it works.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2011, 09:34 PM
lcalvojr

Hi guys. I have had a similar problem with a 2000 durango 5.2 (not 4x4), but my engine light also came on at the same time. Funny all lights came on together but a diagnostic computer mentioned a problem with the fan clutch?? Can anyone advise.

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS Light help!!!!