1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:13 PM
JAWS13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L Questions

First I'd like to thank everyone who posts in this forum. So much great info in here. I've answered a lot of questions and now plan to join the Durango brotherhood. lol

Ok I guess my first question is: I have a 2000 5.2L 2wd with just about 120,000 miles on it , and never had anything major go wrong. I bought it brand new off the lot. Now I've been thinking about replacing the spark plugs and cables. Spark plugs have never been replaced. But I'm in a mindset: if it's not broke don't fix it. Should I go ahead and get a tune-up or should I leave it alone. I see most recommend the Champion spark plugs? What are the advantages on a tune-up?

Second question: I need to find a good ground spot for a cb linear. Is there any way to get to the frame from inside the truck? Is there a ground spot anywhere near the firewall?

Ok since I'm here might as well!

Does anyone know the best place to find an upgraded alternator? How can you find the amperage on the original?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:36 PM
CJYJ
Amateur

WOW I change my plugs every 35,000 miles and I need to it starts to run like crap. YES go with the champions they worked the best for me. Plug wires and cap and rotor I did at 100,000, just used NAPA stuff and have had no problems

Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change the plugs and wires every 30,000 miles. Check the EGR valve, fuela fliter, and motor mounts. Try this link for an alternator:
http://www.ohiogen.com/

They were referred by IndyDurango before,
FF

Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Tune up...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...hange-out.html
would be the same parts for your 5.2L

Spark plugs you want to use Champion (OEM)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-plugs-ok.html

You also will want to clean out your throttle body, please check out our "Do it yourself" section and check out some of the great info there provided by forum members.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...wers-faqs.html

CB
Well your seats are bolted to the frame..

Alternator, I will let others answer this but there is a link in the DIY section on this.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...questions.html

Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have the towing package, your alt is 136amp as a stocker. If you don't have the tow package, you can replace with one up to 136 with ease and no ancillary issues/concerns. Why do you want something more than stock?

You are WAY past due on the rotor/cap/wires/plugs swap. Not changing them out will lead to problems on the problem-free D. Not worth the risk, get it done.

Napa Echlin Cap and rotor (brass contacts)
Autolite 3923s plugs
Mopar Performance wires
Done.

IndyDurango

Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 PM
JAWS13

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately I don't have the towing package on mine. My father-in-law had one installed on his Durango. wonder if they replace the alt to the 136A?

Well the new linear I'm getting has an Amp Draw (maximum) 100 75 in real life. I put in a group 31 battery and upgraded to 2gauge wire from the fuse and alt.

Going today for the parts.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100 Amp? Why. Get a 136 Amp at Auto Zone and be done with it. Or don't.

IndyD

Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 PM
JAWS13

Originally Posted by IndyDurango
100 Amp? Why. Get a 136 Amp at Auto Zone and be done with it. Or don't.

IndyD

no no the linear has a MAX 100 amp draw. (more like 75a) That why I need to upgrade to at least 136a alt.

Would the alt be a drop in? Should I have a mechanic install it?

Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

The alt is right in front at the top of engine bay. judging simply on how often you've worked on your truck I would say to take it to the shop and have them do it. You can swap the alt. in less than 20 minutes if you really know what your doing. The durango is a great truck but you've got to keep up with it. I might ask about how many fluids you've had flushed. by your mileage you should have serviced the rear differential, transmission(very important if you haven't yet), and the coolant system. all those are very important and will be a good day working on your truck. i suggest bringing it to a good shop and giving them a long list of what to do... you'll keep your piece of mind that it was done right. but if you wanna do it yourself we're here for ya

Old 08-21-2009, 10:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
...fuela fliter...
fuel filter is INSIDE the tank with the pump, cant be changed without dropping the tank and replacing the pump, expensive and not easy to do the only thing mentioned that i wouldnt suggest to you myself

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L Questions