1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:22 AM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Issue

So, I have a 2000 5.9L Durango, and I was informed yesterday that all of my brake light were not working while driving. So, I confirmed this...they were out but turn/parking lights work. So while I was at the local Pepboys having them adjust my brakes, (they didn't do it right the first time) I had them check the brake light and do a diagnostic. They said it was the brake light switch and that it was fried, so I said thanks and figured that would be something I could do in the next couple of days when I have some free time, but then while I was driving, my dad was behind and said the lights were working just fine, and I confirmed this as well. So here I am wondering why they are working sometimes and not others. Would it be the switch is bad and only working sometimes or could it be something else. I don't want to get rear ended one day cause someone couldn't tell I was slowing down. Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like the switch is on the way out. Replace it. It is located under the dash up where the petal leg is and twists out (I think 1/4 counter clockwise) and replace.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, thanks. Can you believe that they wanted 50$ to do that at the shop? What a joke.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the part is like $15 or close to it....... I hate shops.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Issue