1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need cooling/radiator info

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Augie Dog
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need cooling/radiator info

Greetings everyone! I'm new to this site and as a member of the Diesel Truck Resource community I look forward to all ya'alls help. Now my question. I recently purchased a 2001 Durango SLT with 4.7 and 2 wheel drive. It has minor front end damage from previous owner (hence the good deal). The A/C condenser was pushed back to radiator and vehicle has been running fine until I purchased it. I now have a leaking radiator. My question is when I look for a radiator they want to know if I have max-cool or no max cool. What is that? I am looking for a radiator from car-parts.com, You can access salvadge yards all over the country from this site.After I find a radiator what do I need to know about doing the repairs and any odd little things I need to know to make this repair a success. Is there a sticky on this site that address's radiator replacement. I will be looking for an A/C condensor also. Right now I am running plain water for coolant until repair is made. I do very short trips no more than 20 - 30 minutes at a time. I did experience a very brief in the red temp gauge reading but I was able to pull over and shut engine off immediately. This has not happened again and vehicle is at operating temp maybe slightly higher than normal due to incapabilities of using water. Also I need new front shocks. What are your thoughts of the Bilstien shocks? The vehicke still rides decent even with bad shocks. Thanks for your replies!! I didn't mean to be so long winded...Augie

Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 PM
GFs5.9Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The max cooling vs. not max cooling is probably the amount of rows each radiator has and won't make a difference with fitment.

Installing the radiator is pretty strait forward. It took me about an hour to replace.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya nothing to install one.. however i would not buy used, many options such as ebay to get u a decent "new" radiator that would work fine for cheap.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Max cooling option was the OEM tow option if it is installed. It includes a larger core and everyone I know came with it. That's the one I'd go with. www.rockauto.com is a good place for parts and so is www.sumitracing.com.

Bliston shocks are great but I like Edelbrock IAS Performance Series because it holds the road like a race car and off road performance is great. Each to their own on shocks.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Quick Reply: Need cooling/radiator info