1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission fluid in gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 PM
durangoSLTV8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission fluid in gas tank?

Someone told me that the best way to clean intake, fuel injectors and combustion chamber is to add Trans Fluid to my gas!? I thought this was crazy and asked my father-n-law and he said he has done that before...

Is there anything to this? Does it work? Can I damage my engine?

Old 08-24-2009, 10:34 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by durangoSLTV8
Someone told me that the best way to clean intake, fuel injectors and combustion chamber is to add Trans Fluid to my gas!? I thought this was crazy and asked my father-n-law and he said he has done that before...

Is there anything to this? Does it work? Can I damage my engine?
Well old time truck drivers (semi drivers) used to do this all the time. Is it the "best" way to clean? i would not think so, having it profesionlly cleaned would be the "best way" and I think a few other addtives such as seafoam would provide same results.

Far as the correct amount to use in a tank? I don't know that answer. I can tell you for a big truck about a quart per 100-150 gallons is what i have been told.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best way is to use water actually.

IndyD

Old 08-26-2009, 10:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Transmission fluid will ruin the CAT and burns REALLY HOT but it can be used. Most people I've talked to have taken their truck out and poured a TINY TINY dribble into the intake. This will heat up REALLY HOT on combustion burning out the chamber but does nothing for the intake unless mixed with gas. But again, it will burn out the catalytic converter so don't do it.

The best way is using a good cleaner thats formulated like Seafoam although I don't like ANY additives personally and everyone here knows that. Pouring strait Seafoam into the intake is a way to do it but you need to hold about 2000 rpm's and GENTLY stream some into the throttle body a little at a time. You can also have it drawn through the vacuum port and that can help clean out the intake and combustion system. After doing these you should do a oil change because it can get into the crank case. What I would do it this:

Get a spray bottle with some distilled water in it. ONLY use distilled water and hold at least 2000 rpm and spray directly into the throttle body wait until the rpm's come back up and shoot it again. You will see the black **** just a blow out the exhaust. This is just like steam cleaning the motor and the CAT looks at it like oxygen.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid in gas tank?