1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

5.2L oil pressure falling at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:57 AM
tnlmaverick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2L oil pressure falling at low RPM

My girlfriend's 1999 5.2L Durango is having some kind of problem with the oil pressure system. When slowing down for a stop sign or intersection, the oil pressure gauge will drop to zero which causes the check gauges light to come on. As soon as the accelerator is pushed to take off again the gauge pressure comes back up to normal (about 60psi) the check gauges light goes off and everything is normal. Anybody have any ideas as to what is causing this? I thought of the oil pump but the pressure is normal unless decelerating or slowing the RPMs. I changed the oil in it last week if that gives any clues.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:44 PM
bjamick
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with the gf's this month. They are tearing up our Durango's lol.

As for your problem, there is a sticky up top where this exact same problem has been discussed and how it was fixed.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Change the PVC valve and change over to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage 10W-30 as seen in this thread. This is the sticky:

5.9L loss of oil pressure
5.9L sudden complete loss of oil presure under hot/hauling conditions:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-pressure.html
Testing results:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...ml#post1778597

Now this is a 5.2L but the same rules still can apply considering it's the same block. Also make sure there is no obstruction in the line to the intake manifold. The PCV valve should be located on the passenger side, top valve cover, with a black tube going to the intake manifold. THe drivers side one is just a black 90 degree intake for the crank case breather.

Quick Reply: 5.2L oil pressure falling at low RPM