1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Testing Numbers Are In!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Testing Numbers Are In!

As many of you know I tested the new Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic High Mileage 10W-30 during towing and high temperatures and facing the issues of sudden oil pump pressure loss. I also replaced the PCV valve as I include this as part of the problem as seen here:

5.9L sudden complete loss of oil presure under hot/hauling conditions:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-...-pressure.html

I towed 7,300 lbs travel trailer up to Yellowstone National Park at 257.6 miles. I averaged 7.4 mpg's with no problems and vaporized only .5 quart of the oil. I also used 91 octane (Maverick and Exxon fuels) during the tow and ran 65mph locked in tow (3rd gear) at 3,000 rpm. 80 F degree average abundant temperature.

I disconnected and ran through the park for 2 days locked in 3rd gear (tow button engaged) because of the average speed of 45mph, also starts and stops and this creates constant shifting. The average was 344.7 miles and ran 16.6 mpg. I used 87 octane (Chevron). 70 F degree average abundant temperature.

Now for the return towing run. I ran the same 257.6 miles. I averaged 7.8 mpg's (Chevron/Maverick) with no problems and vaporized only .5 quart of the oil. I also used 91 octane during the tow and ran 65mph locked in tow (3rd gear) at 3,000 rpm. 90 F degree's average abundant temperature. This run really ran the truck to the max.

So as for the results for the testing:

Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic High Mileage 10W-30 is better at non vaporization for motors with blow by or older motors with ware on the rings/cylinder walls and the new PCV valve coupled together with the lubricant fixed the issues with sudden and complete loss of oil pressure as my testing and hypothisis was verified.

I now fully give my endorsements to this new product and will recommend it to everyone as being the new favorite lubricant for both new/rebuilt motors and older motors. The new lubricate can be found at your local Walmart and was coupled with a Mopar Oil Filter also found at Walmart. Oil is $28 for a 5 quart container and filter is $5 also found there.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 08-22-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Testing Numbers Are In!