1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need to know OEM torque converter number

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need to know OEM torque converter number

As it says i need to get the OEM number to do some cross referencing.. Dealer closed and i would like to get this info tonight if possible, need to order so it will be here by Friday.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Here let me show you what I am dealing with,
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...p?keyword=cr94

click on compatibility tab and scroll down and it says,
1998-1999 Dodge Durango
V8 - 5.2L vin Y 318ci - MFI GAS OHV
V8 - 5.9L vin Z 360ci - MFI GAS OHV

Not possible that i am aware of, 5.2 has 44RE and the 5.9L has a 46RE.. The main shaft in the tranny that goes into the converter is a larger diameter then the 44RE, thats why they call it the 46RE because it has stronger internals.
So, i start to doubt myself.. I call http://www.apsprecision.com/Transmission.html
Who knows what the heck they are talking about. He confirms that i am correct about the different diameter on the shafts from a 44RE to a 46RE. Only prob is he's not at home and can't look up the numbers for me (OEM). K well I call good old Napa.. Well guess what, same converter the part #CR94

Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it's: Shaft Size=1.5" Housing Bore=2.249" Outer Diameter=2.253" Width=0.36"

You first want to go oversized torque convertor and would suggest Hughes Performance http://hughesperformance.com/catalog_online/

26 spline on the 44RE I think. The 46RE has the 23 spline.

3000 rpm stall Hughes:
A500 OD Lockup w/26 spline 1993- '04 .............................. 16-30L

Old 09-10-2009, 04:57 PM
schusterjo
All Star

I would love to go oversized but I just don't have that type of money right now. On a budget build here cause I am planning on getting married and have to save for that. If that was not the case man trust me I would already had ordered headers, engine rebuild kit, chrome pulley's, chrome valve covers, fastman TB and so on.. Need to save for that but on the other hand need to get this thing rolling, dunno if you remember my 4 to lockup issue i was trying to resolve or not, but torque converter very much so may be the issue, better to do it right now with when the front off, all i have to do is unbolt the engine, slide it forwarded a little then tap in a new converter,... SOOOO much easier then trying to do this later from the underside ext...

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-10-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:27 PM
schusterjo
All Star

For anybody who wants to know a 44RE torque converter OEM number is R4736549 AB
If you head off to a parts store u will be looking for a CR93... Sorry folks not going to do a write up on this one. believe it or not it takes alot of time to make those up and doing this job i will not have the extra time nor patience lol to. I am not looking forward to doing this atr all but it needs to be done to eliminate 1 of the 3 only possibilities my 4 to lockup issue can be.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Don't remember the issue???????

If you seporate the motor replace the 2 block freeze plugs behind the motor located on the 5.2L and 5.9L.

Also do a oil pump and change out the gasket and use rubber!

Old 09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
schusterjo
All Star

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Well 44RE torque converter OEM number is R4736549 AB is correct

Now come to find out
CR93 is a wide ring gear
CR91 is a narrow ring gear

They lied to me and told me it was a 122 tooth and it is not it is a 130 tooth
So, now i have it out and was all ready to put it back in and ran into this issue

Oh why do they need to make things such a pain???????????????????
Anyways none avail and have to order so now i am doing nothing again this weekend and back to waiting on parts.

By the way Hydra it has a new oil pump. When i bought the Durango it had the engine rebuilt 28,000 miles before and oil pump was one of the items that was on the receipt they gave me, the reason they was selling the Durango was cause of the transmission was bad. I had it rebuilt at a shop in Indianapolis and about 2 months later it went bad. went to the shop that i had a 2 year 20,000 mile warranty and the was closed down.. My luck.. So I got a 44RE off of a guy who was building a drag truck out of a Dakota, problem was it was a 2wd. The tranny only had 48,000 on it, he showed me the odometer on the Dakota and he seemed like a trust worthy guy so i got it. I swapped the output shaft over at my buddies place. A few pics

Name:  SSPX0192.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  SSPX0190.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  54.0 KB
Name:  SSPX0184.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  70.2 KB

Well after this swap the tranny works great but from 4 to lockup it will go in the jump right back out. I will see if i can find that post...

Old 09-12-2009, 05:18 PM
schusterjo
All Star

here is the link to that thread
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...p-issue-3.html

2nd video is the better one

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-13-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Still sounds like a solenoid but I wonder if it is a pressure situation or miss channel of an older system. The older jay fleight opperated at lower psi than the new style I thought?

In fact I thought they were 2 completely different trany's?

Old 09-13-2009, 12:55 AM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Still sounds like a solenoid but I wonder if it is a pressure situation or miss channel of an older system. The older jay fleight operated at lower psi than the new style I thought?

In fact I thought they were 2 completely different trany's?
Not sure about the pressure from the old to the knew, although I thought old had a 2 pin and the other had a 3 pin connector...

Both transmissions where out of my 99 Durango and his Dakota was a 99 Dakota.. So, i would think they would be the same. who knows though. I eventually will get that issue resolved. Really leaning to this torque converter though.. fingers crossed and hop i can get one in soon and get this thing back on the road rolling. just seems like i keep having issues in getting parts i need and pushes it back another week then another week ext...

By the way here is the link to the thread and not just the post like above
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...p-issue-3.html
This one on page 4 u can see the video i posted

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-13-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Need to know OEM torque converter number