1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Exhaust Smell - Cat bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Heres a link: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's

Stop by the auto parts store and buy 8 Champion Regular Copper spark plugs Cheapo $2 plugs (this is OEM). Get a new rear axle Speed Sensor and take both of them to a shop and have them install it. That way you get the right parts installed and all you pay is the labor.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:43 PM
benchwarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it was something I ate then. lol
Egg begets egg fart

Old 09-18-2009, 04:47 PM
benchwarmer

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Heres a link: Do It Yourself (top questions and answers) FAQ's

Stop by the auto parts store and buy 8 Champion Regular Copper spark plugs Cheapo $2 plugs (this is OEM). Get a new rear axle Speed Sensor and take both of them to a shop and have them install it. That way you get the right parts installed and all you pay is the labor.
The plugs in the Durango now are platinum. In ten years I think I only had it tuned twice. So it's had three sets of plugs its whole life, 2 of which were platinum. I always bought into the idea that it made a difference in performance and that the platinums lasted longer. Thoughts?

Old 09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by benchwarmer
The plugs in the Durango now are platinum. In ten years I think I only had it tuned twice. So it's had three sets of plugs its whole life, 2 of which were platinum. I always bought into the idea that it made a difference in performance and that the platinums lasted longer. Thoughts?
LOL ya you will get plenty of thoughts on platinum plugs being used on a Magnum engine, DON'T DO IT... They simply do not work well at all. You would want to use OEM Champion plugs.

Check out the DIY section and read threw post on the subject.

Last edited by schusterjo; 09-18-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Some people have had luck with Platinums in the 4.7L motor only but not great luck to say the least. Everyone I talk to pulls them out and replaces them with great results. In fact I don't remember ANYONE that didn't love the results.

Also remember this:
Don't put a Japanese plug into an American made motor!

Get those POS plugs out of that motor! ......IMHO!

You ONLY want Champion regular Copper plugs (OEM) $2 each, Champion Truck plugs $2.70 each, Champion Iridium plugs $8.99 each, also some people like the Autolite 3923's $2 each in the 5.2L and 5.9L. I do not encourage their use. Read through this thread: Longevity & Power Of Your Rig!

Originally Posted by benchwarmer
Maybe it was something I ate then. lol
Egg begets egg fart
^ Now thats just plain funny! ^

Like I said, "take the parts to your shop and have them install them".

Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Mitty757

Benchwarmer--We have the same exhaust smell issue in our 2002 Durango. It has 172,000 miles and has run well and never had any exhaust system or transmission issues. The smell is not there with every start and so far I have not been able to ascertain whether it happens with any particular pattern. I cannot find any ideas as to what the problem could be on the internet so I will keep watching this forum for other ideas.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 AM
pokerface222

I just surrender my vehicle and bought 2002 D 4x4 SLT w/ 120000 miles on it.
First thing i did was the oil change at EZ lube and they showed me a thin sludge like black layer in the oil cap then told me to do engine flush for $69.00 but i didnt do.
Anyhow, The MAJOR problem is the smell that is so bad that i had to open my windows all the time.
Please, guide me.. what should i do?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

one, good call on not getting it flushed, sludge doesnt show up in these trucks often (idk if iv ever seen it) and definetly doesnt show up in the oil cap!!!

now the bad smell, if it is much like raw gas i would venture that your catelitic converter is bad.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:34 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

SOunds like the CAT is on the way out to me or the fuel you use is high in sulfer. You can try installing new O2 sensors and a tune up, change fuel, then go to replacement of the CAT. If you replace the CAT go with a 3" HI Flow cause if you want to replace the exhaust then you can do a true 3' CAT back performance system including the CAT. If you want to stay the same 2 1/2" then still do a HI Flow.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the no flush.
+1 on the replacing of the cat. Yeah, since you're down there, why not install a new cat back system?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Smell - Cat bad?