1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Exhaust Smell - Cat bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 04:50 PM
benchwarmer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Exhaust Smell - Cat bad?

Hi all:

My 2000 4.7 V8 Durango (Automatic trans) has for sometime now stunk every time I started it up. What I mean by that is it has had a very strong exhaust smell upon start up. Bad enough that I have to shut down the air (Heat/AC) so it doesn't come wicking into the cabin.

More recently it seems like I get a gust of that smell not just at startup, but rather stop-n-go traffic (though sometimes it's hard to tell if it's you or the guy in front of you). The only other thing to mention is that I also get an occasional sharp smell of sulphur (rotten egg). Based on this latter fact, my unfortunate assumption is that my catalytic converter has gone (or is going) bad. Would anyone know whether the cat could cause both a exhaust blow back on startup as well as the rotten egg smell, or am I possibly looking at a more systemic exhaust system problem? Anyway for me to self diagnose?

PS: I've had it at Pepboys and the Dealer for unrelated repairs in the past 3 months and neither pointed out a problem with the exhaust. I figured that one of them would have brought it to my attention if there was an obvious problem, so I'm wondering if it's possible that I'm lucky and just need to pour some STP in the tank to clean out the injectors.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

More info:

Whens the last time you changed the spark plugs and have you had any other problems?

Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well unless its an obvious issue nobody is going to say anything to u if there us an issue. I would not be taking my truck to a Pepboys unless i was getting some tires and or balance. Other then the smell have you done a walk around and tried to listen for a leak? a small exhaust leak usually sounds like a ticking sound in a way.

It is very hard to trust any shop today dealer or not, they all seem to be crooks anymore, there are very few honest shops left. Do you happen to know anybody who knows a honest place or person? try asking some friends at work if they know a good place to take it to. just thinking here you take it to the dealer your just going to get over charged and you take it to Pepboys ur just going to end up with a non quality job.

Old 09-16-2009, 04:42 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would wait until your o2 sensor trips or you pass out form the carbon monoxide build-up. The catalytic converters take a few minutes to actually work as they need to be heated by the exhaust fumes so it would not be noticed at start-up,
FF

Old 09-16-2009, 11:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You could clean it up by steam cleaning using distiled water or try using Seafoam.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:47 PM
benchwarmer

First off, just want to clarify that the PepBoys stop was an emergency, I was literally in the middle of the desert and the car was overheating (116F degrees outside that day). Basically all I paid for out of that stop was an oil change (though I don't think the oil was the overheating problem).

The dealer stop I mentioned was the fan clutch (also needed a recall performed)

As for other problems: Well yesterday my ABS light went on, and the Brake light too (that one usually lit when the parking brake is engage), also the speedometer suddenly doesn't kick in till 25MPH or so. I'm guessing this is unrelated, but since you asked.

Other info: 2 years ago the Durango started shifting really hard and I got a bad diagnosis that the tranny was bad from a local shop (that I will never return to). This was when the gas prices were close to $5/gal so I just parked the car and bought a used Jetta from my roommmate. A year later (almost a year ago now) I had a choice: Smog it or register as non-operable, I chose to smog it and the idea was to sell it with a note that the tranny was bad. Well I took it to a shop I used to use, they smogged and figured out the speed sensor on the tranny went bad. After that, no problems (except the exhaust smell and now the Abs/brake light issue).

Maybe just sitting for the year fouled everything up?

Last edited by benchwarmer; 09-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:50 PM
benchwarmer

Originally Posted by fascistfaction
I would wait until your o2 sensor trips or you pass out form the carbon monoxide build-up. The catalytic converters take a few minutes to actually work as they need to be heated by the exhaust fumes so it would not be noticed at start-up,
FF
Fascistfaction,

I sense sarcasm, but I don't understand if your saying a) Check my O2 sensor or b) that you don't think the cat is the problem

...or both or something else entirely.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:52 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

no, the speedo not working under 25 and the abs/brake lights going on is classic symptom of the rear wheel speed sensor going bad, it is located ont he rear differential, and tends to cost quite a bit more than the one on the tranny , but it should solve your current problems

Old 09-18-2009, 02:03 PM
benchwarmer

Question: Better to replace rear speed sensor myself, or should I take the whole D into the shop, have them do that and give it a tune-up (with the hopes that this takes care of the exhaust)? If the former, know of any quick DIY tutorials on how to replace the sensor?

Old 09-18-2009, 03:11 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The sarcasm was undeserved (I am a mean drunk). I do not think it is your catalytic converter causing the smell,
FF

Quick Reply: Exhaust Smell - Cat bad?