1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

46RE blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 PM
jaydubyagee
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 46RE blues

a couple of months ago, I had the classic governor pressure sensor/solenoid problem. I had the error codes, truck reluctant to shift from 1-2, etc etc. I replaced the sensor and governor and everything ran great for 6 weeks.

Today, I jump in and go for about 100+ yards. The vehicle (2000 R/T) wouldn't shift out of first, then when I stopped at the intersection (uphill grade), the vehicle behaved as if it slipped out of gear. The engine revved, but there was no pick up of power at the wheels. I parked the car for an hour or so and came back and did some testing.

I checked the fluid. it was within range, but I topped it off to the upper end of the fill range. When I started, it engaged and stayed in first gear, could not get it to shift up. I may have been imagining it, but I may have heard a high pitch whine as I drove. When I put the vehicle in reverse, it would move but it shuddered. The second time I put it into reverse, the engine revved but there was no power transfer. I put the gearbox in low range, and it would move in reverse, but it shuddered violently. I put the gearbox back into normal range, tested reverse, but no movement. I then tried high range, but got a crunch and then the range selector went limp, would not find any range at all, just flopped around.

My question is what calibre of ammunition would you recommend to put this vehicle out of its misery?

But seriously, what is my next step here? I have no error codes to go by, do I have a serviceable problem here or do I need to go find a new gearbox? I haven't swapped a tranny in ten years, and am in the middle of a big engine project on another vehicle, I'm hoping that you all have a miraculous cure for me so I can watch some football for a change.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:24 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like a transfer case problem, but could very well be a trany gone out. Usually you get a CEL if have a trany go out.

Range selector? Are you talking about a floor manual gear shaft to the transfer case?

Year, and is it 4X4?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:21 PM
jaydubyagee
Amateur

its a 2000 w/ 5.9 4x4

just called brandywine/ransom for price on replacement parts. they said they can't keep these tranny's in stock, they go out as soon as they pull them out of the junkers. nearest one is in PA. Living the dream...

Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 PM
schusterjo
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

46RE is a good transmission, the problem is people do not service them as they should.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just pull your transmission and rebuild it. You need to find a GOOD shop or buy one thats good from someone like Dan at www.thefastman.com. Either way, make sure they flush your system totally out BEFORE re-installing.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:46 PM
jaydubyagee
Amateur

yea, we'll see. too many projects, it might wind up being $50 behind a wrecker

Old 09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
schusterjo
All Star

Originally Posted by jaydubyagee
yea, we'll see. too many projects, it might wind up being $50 behind a wrecker
if ya live close to me let me know before you go the wrecker way. I would come and get it.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 PM
jaydubyagee
Amateur

after procrastinating, I had Old Red towed to a local tranny shop. The first indication is the presence of metal pieces in the fluid pan. They'll drop the box on monday and we'll see what happens.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:10 PM
schusterjo
All Star

ya metal in the pan is a bad sign. I hope you picked a good tranny shop because manny claim to be able to rebuild one of these but many have no clue. There is no fast way or short cuts when rebuilding one of these transmissions.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if they rebuild it you should think about having a shift kit put in, will make the rebuild last longer and shift better

Quick Reply: 46RE blues