1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changing Trans fluid/filter Q

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
20durango00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Trans fluid/filter Q

About to do a trans fluid/filter change on our '00 Durango and I've always used RTV between the pan and gasket, then nothing between the gasket and trans on other vehicles that is. The instructions with the filter say just apply a little grease to both sides of the gasket. Does anyone have any pros and cons to using either method? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it from someone who learned the hardway, I personally would recommed the Sealant and this is one area I would recommend Dealer . The Mopar RTV sealant is the recommended way to go. It is only about $10 bucks but will save you trouble later. I would let them install the sealant and tighten the pan then wait a couple of hours before I added the fluid and allow the sealant to cure. Also since you are removing the pan anyway I would recommend the MAG-HYTEK pan as a replacement. They are worth a call or search to check if they hav a pan available for your year/transmission. They are $300 but the drain plug and allowing the fluid to drain without a mess is well worth it. and will probably pay for itself in a couple of $150 a pop servicing from repair facility. Once this pan is installed I wont be afraid to change the filter/fluid every 25K instead of the 32K that is on it now.

Some other members might say use gasket and if you choose that route I recommend the filter kit from NAPA which includes a pretty high strength rubber gasket and the flat filter. I am not sure about 2000 models but my 545RFE had two filters, the flat one and a spin on secondary filter, I got mine at the dealer, and the flat filter came with the new pan. Spin on filter and RTV sealant cost $30, again a little expensive but peace of mind is worth it..

A final thought..... Whether you choose gasket or RTV, DO NOT USE BOTH! Trust me if you doubt this google my thread in jan 08 about what happens when you use both.

Good Luck

Magic

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm one of the members that only use rubber gaskets that is seald using a little grease to lubricate the gasket then install. It doesn't stick on removal and is very easy to install but each to their own.

The NAPA rubber gasket is great at $2.

Quick Reply: Changing Trans fluid/filter Q