1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another Newbie???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Bonz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie???

Hopin some of you pro's can help me out?? I have a 99 Durango, 5.2L 4x4. it has 116,000 miles on it. I don' drive it daily, and it has been sitting for a few months although I do start it occasionally.

I had trouble with it idling, it would just shut off if I took my foot off the gas. I replaced the IAC valve and now it idles but very rough? I've replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor also. Put some Seafoam injector cleaner in all to no avail. It runs o.k, just real rough at low RPM's. the check engine light comes on and If I really put it to the floor it flashes? I'm also getting a slight odor, exhaust type, not anything burning. It has all new exhaust from the manifold back with the exception of the converter. I'm sure nothing is leaking.

Its running like I have a bad wire or plug although I no thats not it. Any ideas before I go through a pile of money blindly???

Thanks fellas for any help!!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

what kind of plugs/wires/cap/rotor did you put on it

plugs should be the el cheapo $2.00 copper core champions, with msd or mopar performance 8mm wires and make sure the cap/rotor have brass contacts on them

next check all the vacume lines, make sure they are not cracked/broken or damaged in any way, especially in the engine bay, over the headers, and near the charcoal canister which is connected to the gas tank by these lines.

also when you do the plugs make sure they gapped correctly i believe it is a .040 gap, but it should be listed on the emissions sticker under the hood of your truck.

also check fuel pressure at the rail, cant think of anything else right now if i do ill post back

Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a reset on the PCM:
Engine Code Index (Check Engine Light?)

Then if that doesn't work get the code read and your local Auto Zone or Checkers and tell us what the code is or fix the problem with the link I gave you as well.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simple.

You have a dead/dying/loosely connected battery. Believe it or not.
Fix the battery issue, fix the low idle stumble issue you are experiencing on startup.

IndyDurango

Old 10-14-2009, 05:43 AM
SumAmerican
Professional

pretty sure indy has got something here.. I had the alternator go out on mine with the same systems.. For some reason the old D didn't have the usual signs of alternator failure but it fixed the problem.. I would also double check your spark plug routing.. when my alt. went out I'm not sure I was running too rich.. Although it would just be a weak spark.. Take your time on each wire and be sure that its installed correctly on the distributor cap, on the plug and on the right plug.. I spent 2 weeks tearing threw my D just to notice 2 wires were on the wrong cylinder... lesson learned

Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 AM
Bonz

WOW would have never guessed the battery might make it run like this!!! great stuff guys thanks a million, at least I have something to go on for now.

I'm headin in town later today so maybe my local Autozone will scan it for me while I'm in there.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:51 PM
Bonz

code says #1 cylinder missfire most likely caused by TPI sensor. I will change it out and see!!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmmmmmm!

Quick Reply: Another Newbie???