1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 01:54 PM
ramos63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights

hey guys I recently purchased a 2002 durango from the state. It was a law enforcement car. In order to stop me from using police lights they cut a bunch of wires. I had no running lights or brake lights. I found 2 wires that led from the break pedal and tied them together so I now have brake lights. The only thing I need now is running tail lights..all other light are perfect..bulbs are all new and the headlight switch is new...can some one tell me where to start. thanks in advance

Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First you need to tell us where they cut the wires?

Do you have a picture?

Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 AM
ramos63

There are a bunch of wires pulled into the center console. I am assuming their was a siren light or some kind of control there. Now it is an empty space with a bunch of cut wires. I followed 2 of them to the brake pedal and tied them together so that solved the brake issue. Most of the wires are either blue or red. There is a cut brown and red wire that I followed out to the head lights but I am not sure what it is for. Frankly I am not sure the wires are the cause of me not having running tail lights because all the other lights work.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did you purchase this law enforcement Durango from? Strange that someone will sell a vehicle with non functioning safety lights unless it is stated so during the sale.

Having all the wires cut, I would not risk buying it only because you don't know what else may have been cut when it was not suppose to that can lead to many new problems.

If done professionally, they could have removed the police equipment and restore the original specs of the durango for civilian use without having to simply cut everything blindly?

Old 10-23-2009, 11:56 AM
ramos63

I bought at auction from the state of NJ..it was day time so I did not know there was a problem with the lights..with the exception of the horn and running tail lights everything else is pretty good..but the time is about to change so i have to get those lights going real soon..HELP!

Old 10-24-2009, 03:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Here is a 2000 Durango manual you can download. http://pdftown.com/Dodge-Durango-Service-Manual.html

Old 10-25-2009, 12:34 PM
ramos63

thanks hydrashocker ..in order to view pages it is asking me for a password..do you have that handy/

Old 10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

type this password:

pdftown.com

Yes it sounds like its an internet address and it is but it's the password.

Quick Reply: Tail lights