1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

01 Durango R/T Tranny Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:21 PM
rab005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Durango R/T Tranny Issue

Hi all. I usually can search and find my fix from old posts but not 100% sure what my issue is. I did look at the DYI Transmission Diagnostics.

I have 01 Durango with 72K miles and the tranny is not wanting to downshift. This 1st happened a month ago and after I parked the D for the rest of that work day it has be fine until yesterday. It is not throwing any codes.

Only will downshift from Overdrive to 3rd gear. Acts like it's stuck in 3rd gear when I come to a stop. If I manually shift the gear lever into 1st gear then the tranny will downshift into 1st gear. Have to drive it like an old 3-speed on the column.

The tranny fluid level is fine and I did replace the TPS but no improvement. I was thinking about doing the following that i found in a post but wanted the experts advice before I drop the pan and money.

1. Governor Pressure Transducer and Pressure Solenoid

2. Solenoid Overdrive/Lockup

What controls the downshifting? Are there any other external sensors on the outside of the tranny that I can try replacing before dropping the pan?

I read an old post from Kensai about having to over fill his tranny but something about having the wrong dipstick after his tranny was rebuilt. But it's doing the same exact problem that he report a couple years ago.

One more thing. Everytime I parked & turn off the D....the next time I drive it..the tranny will be in 1st gear. That's the only time it works correctly when the gear selector is in the "D" position otherwise I have to manually shift the gear lever to 1st and it takes a second or two for it to engage to the lower gear. Hopefully, it's not the torque converter..seems like it's electronic issue to me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You may want to replace the governor and transducer.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:40 AM
rab005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Can I get these parts from my local part store? Anybody know of a place on-line to buy these cheaper?

Also, can I get someone to help me with transmission model number and part numbers for the Tranny Solenoids?

2001 Dodge Durango R/T 5.9L AWD

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:04 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^ master tech is really good with these transmissions! ^

You have a 46RE transmission in that. Look at www.rockauto.com for the parts.

Quick Reply: 01 Durango R/T Tranny Issue